1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Straightening 'uplighter' light shades...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mushroomz, Apr 9, 2012.

1. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

I have 'uplighter' shades in some of my rooms. I think they are called that, anyway. Basically, they are like upturned almost-conical shaped lampshades, screwed on to light fittings that hang down from the ceiling by a wire...

Anyway, they are murder to clean, and even more murder to straighten up afterwards - in fact, I have given up cleaning them, as the thought of spending two hours straightening the darn things does not appeal....

Does anyone have a good way of straightening uplighters simply? I am sick of using sticks, feather dusters etc. to manipulate them, only to step down from my high step stool to find the uplighter shades are wonky...so it's back up the precariously balanced step stool again...

Thanks!!

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

No offence meant mushroomz, but couldn't you replace them? Paper shades (big ball shaped ones) are really cheap and easy to fit ... also less outdated than uplighters. No real need to clean them either.
    I know this doesn't answer your question though - sorry!

3. This I can answer! Don't fall off your chair/ladder! It drives me mad if things are wonky. If it won't hang straight, roll a sausage of white Blue-Tack and stick it on the inside of the rim of the shade to make it tip back the right way. Worked for me and my shade but i know it won't work for every one.