1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Straight to formal stage of capability

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TheHappyArnold, Mar 29, 2012.

1. TheHappyArnold

TheHappyArnold New commenter

Is it acceptable for a teacher to go straight to the formal stage of capability without going through the informal stage first?
    I thought that the process went along the lines of informal support - informal capability - formal capability. This has happened to a colleague of mine and we were wondering if it was something the head teacher was allowed to do.

2. I hate to say it but I think they can [​IMG] I am really sorry if I am wrong.

3. TheHappyArnold

No need to apologise! :)

By the way, how did you get your smily? When I previewed mine it just had the punctuation marks?

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

By the time you hit "post" it magically transforms into a correct smiley.

5. TheHappyArnold

are you sure? :)

perhaps I'm not doing it correctly!! :-(

6. Are you on an apple piece of merchandise? [​IMG] My Iphone/ipad never include smileys!
    I really hope things work out for your colleague though. From what I can remember, informal used to precede the formal stages of capability but I think some schools had different ideas of what constututed informal capability. I think this may have changed early this year.
    I also think that a nice supportive school will use capability, whether informal or formal as a last resort. A less pleasant one won't.
    Wish them luck x

7. TheHappyArnold

You've hit the nail on the head there!! It's formal capability lasting 4 weeks by the way!!

Yes I am using apple devices - an imac and a macbook! A small price to pay for beautiful technology!

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

So you have a blame culture operated by an inadequate, clueless HT, who tries to divert attention from his/her own many and various shortcomings.

9. Back to the issue...
    Generally, fast track may be provided for in the procedure, but only for very serious concerns. But the formal stage is still likely to have clear prescribed time limits etc. The school should have an established capability procedure, so check it out
    My suspicion is that HT will try to use the threat of going straight to the formal stage to bully staff into resigning. But remember this leaves the school very vulnerable since the HT will be breaching the school's own procedures and providng evidence of bullying, which can be used against the school and GB. So record all evidence.

10. TheHappyArnold

This is exactly what my colleague wants to do. They are seeking advice from their union to see if there is another way out.

Incidentally, there are now three members of staff on capability procedures, one of whom was put on it after receiving a good from an ofsted inspection! Unfortunately no one is strong enough to stand up to the head and would prefer to leave rather than fight, which is of course perfectly understandable.

11. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

If all 3 can prove bullying then a collective grievance would be worth it. It would only be worthwhile if all 3 cases were strong. The rest of you should make a stand together as one of you will be next. That is assuming you know all the facts, so be careful.

12. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

You seem to be taking a very one sided view of the situation here. Whilst there may be issues with the headteacher in this case it is equally possible that there are genuine reasons for going for formal capability with a teacher. Classroom teachers are just as likely to be clueless and inadequate as a headteacher!

13. Ah, thank the lord for a sensible comment.

14. TheHappyArnold

I'm sorry to say that Siegen81to82 is actually spot on in this instance.

15. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Yep. Have ongoing high court action against one of those, too.

16. TheHappyArnold

I think its too late for that as all three have had as much as they can take and are in the process of trying to find a way out before it goes too far and starts to seriously affect their health and that of their families.

17. I suspect that a collective complaint against the HT is likely to be the only way out. Without that the HT continues with the capability procedure. The HT is free to mention the procedures in any reference (and also make a referral to the GTC if the teacher leaves).
    Strangely, the easier exit for your friend is for them to fight back either as an individual or (preferably) collectively. The minimum benefit will be that the HT will be diverted into defending his corner and will have less time to persecute staff. Fight back!

18. Agree so much. HT, who tries to divert attention from his/her own many and various shortcomings.

19. chriszwinter1

Just posting from experience. Yes there are teachers who should not be in the job and yes there are procedures to remove them. But a HT who fits that description has much more power and can do much more damage before being found out and dealt with.
    I've seen at first hand what "poor leadership" (in the words of the chair of governors) can do, and it's no laughing matter for the pupils, parents and staff involved.

20. chriszwinter1

Former colleagues of mine have been through that as a direct result of the type of HT I mean.