1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

storytelling into writing help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hsmyth14, Oct 25, 2011.

1. I have just been on a fantastic training day about using storytelling to improve writing, based on the Pie Corbett approach and using the 3 stages of imitate, innovate and invent. I'm so enthused about the whole thing and have loads of ideas for the classroom. Just wondered if anyone does this in their school currently and if so if anyone has any good lists/examples of stories to start off with? I have ordered some of Pie Corbett's books, very excited to get them

2. We have a whole school approach and use the layered storymaking language throughout the school. We use all Pie's books - they give you great ideas for starting stories.
    If you search on youtube for his stories you can watch the clips of him leading the story etc... and it dovetails into writing.
    Children need to practice retelling the story before rewriting it themselves before'innovating'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdvJZD-cplg&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9h0H0c1XDk&feature=related

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

thanks for the links.i have enjoyed some of them..........In the end the story is often asgood as the teller!

5. Thank you for all the links! Really looking forward to trying it with my class and persuading the rest of the staff to take it on!

6. Opera Diva - how does your school map Literacy over the year? Do you do one non-fiction text type per term and then have one narrative focus per term? Or for narrative does each year group take a different story plot per term?