1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storylines changed for films

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Benbamboo, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

I have just read an article on yahoo - they are making a new film about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which I adored as a young lad.
    Bizarrely, they are changing their entire reason for existing from pet turtles who came into contact with toxic waste to them being aliens. A huge storyline shift for no apparent reason. It makes you wonder why you would buy up a franchise just to change fundamental aspects.
    Anyway, aside from now vowing never to see the film, are there any seemingly pointless, yet massive, plot changes that have really got on your wick when you've gone to see a film?

2. Benbamboo

I have just read an article on yahoo - they are making a new film about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which I adored as a young lad.
    Bizarrely, they are changing their entire reason for existing from pet turtles who came into contact with toxic waste to them being aliens. A huge storyline shift for no apparent reason. It makes you wonder why you would buy up a franchise just to change fundamental aspects.
    Anyway, aside from now vowing never to see the film, are there any seemingly pointless, yet massive, plot changes that have really got on your wick when you've gone to see a film?

3. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Off the top of my head I can't think but I've read several books that have been much, much better than the film versions. I'm now very wary of watching any film where I've read and greatly enjoyed the book. It just leads to disappointment [​IMG]

4. Benbamboo

Oh, I'm with you on that all the way MarilynDan. Some films I simply won't watch because I have enjoed the book so much I don't want it ruined.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I thought 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' was a complete travesty compared to the original graphic novel, I'm also not keen on Guy Ritchie's action adventure hero version of Sherlock Holmes. Pretty much every classic TV sitcom adaption for cinema was a poorly-executed in my opinion.

6. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

The Golden Compass - a travesty of a film made by a company who did not understand the book they had bought the rights to.
    The one major plot change was to take out any mention of the Church, and refer to it only as the Magisterium, thus removing any of the philosophical content of the book. So in the end they turned an excellent and thought-provoking book into a terrible and pointless film.
    I sort of get why they did it, but it makes me really mad every time I think about it!

7. Geroge Orwell has been hard done by- Animal Farm- the Jim Henson one- ends with the animals working in harmony with the new human family. And in the 1984 version of 1984- Winston Smith still has some hatred towards Big Brother- the whole point in the book was that he has crushed and loved BB at the end!

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds was just bizarre. The 1950s version was not really like the book but was closer than that rubbish with Cruise in it. Why didn't he just throw that whining daughter at them first chance he got?

9. One flew over the cuckoo's nest - The paranoid ramblings of the indian guy replaced by the (admittedly well acted) sanity of the Jack Nicholson character bah

Clockwork orange - again, admittedly good costume and make up but the sinister qualities of the book were not included

Trainspotting - awful awful representation of a brilliantly dark book