1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storyline topics

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by weefee75, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Anyone using a Storyline approach to topic planning. Have recently seen this n action where something happens to trigger the topic - ie, a letter delivered or a visit from something - and from this a topic that is contexualised for the children is built up.
    Like the olden days - topic webs!!!

2. Anyone using a Storyline approach to topic planning. Have recently seen this n action where something happens to trigger the topic - ie, a letter delivered or a visit from something - and from this a topic that is contexualised for the children is built up.
    Like the olden days - topic webs!!!

3. tiger2004

tiger2004 New commenter

The LightHouse Keepers Lunch (or picnic!!! Not sure only heard it being talked about!)is being used in our school to cover some of Primary one/twos topics and make them slightly more exciting. Not as intense as topic webs but children very enthusiastic and getting a lot out of it.

4. the park...use percy paek keeper
    katie morag (im doing this with p2 and its amazing!!)

enjoy i have! xxx

5. Now I did think about Katie Morag (have P1/2 next year)!
    Can I be very cheeky and ask you how you went about it - how you strated and how you developed your storyine - very cheeky I know!

6. i'm trying a storyline topic with my class this term and they love it, the LTScotland page has loads on it and if i remember rightly there is a plan for the enchanted forest on it, if not i have it and i'm happy to email you it.

7. Chhers weemiss
    yeah saw the enchanted forest one on LTS but didn't fancy that myself - is that the one you're using with your class? How's it going?
    I'm unsure what to do - thinking of pirates or katie Morag but don't know.
    Any ideas/good success stories?

8. Bodkin Keeper of the March by Nick Hesketh - excellent tie in to env education.

Can't recommend it enough - minimal text but fab illustrations, terrific as a learning and teaching stimulus.

9. send me ur email address weefee and i will email u some info on katie morag over the weekend !! my kids are still buzzing!! xx

10. ekv

ekv

mazzypann,
    I'm moving to p1/2 next year and would love to have a look at your Katie Morag work. Thanks
    ellie@ellievaughan.co.uk

11. tiger2004

tiger2004 New commenter

I know this is cheeky but could I also have a copy of the Katie Morag stuff as I am at same stage and it sounds fabulous. Thank you so so so so much!!!

am991042@lycos.co.uk

12. will get the stuff emailed to you soon, we've been reaally busying performing it to everyone so im a bitty stressed! will do it very soon (thurs night) xx

13. I recently did the Seaside as a storyline and the kids loved it. I made all the characters I introduced REAL Scottish seaside creatures, as I have no truck with mermaids and stuff teachers invent to keep themselves more interested! (IMHO!)

I have the same problem with fairies and pirates: the former as they are made-up, and the latter because they are nothing but glamourised thieves. Call me a miserable old curmudgeon if you like, but I see topic work as a chance to help children learn about REAL issues in a fun and exciting way, so unless I plan to get all heavy about pirates, I will be avoiding them!

14. Cheers mazzypan
    Thanks for your opinion Novice.

15. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Peter and the wolf is quite good too, You can make masks, research facts, write poetry, do music and drama etc. There's a brilliant Dame Edna CD.

16. Hi, I am planning an enchanted forest storyline and noticed your post regarding ideas and plans. Do you have any advice or starter points?

Many thanks,

Jules

17. Hi,

I realise you posted a message about your Katie Morag storyline approach a wee while ago but I'd be really interested to hear how you (or anyone else) has gone about this. If you still have information on this would you mind emailing it? I'd be so grateful for any inspiration as I'd love to do something like this next term with my infant class ... but not quite sure how / where to start. Thanks a lot.

18. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Not my area of expertise - but anyone heard of Flat Stanley???

19. I did the Flat Stanly Project (google it) with a P3/4 class a could of years ago and the kid loved it. We teamed up with a couple of schools abroad and exchanged Flat Stanley's and info about their local area v's ours. It was fantastic and the kids got loads from it - loads of cross curricular work too.