1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

storybooks for independent reading Early Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by svxenos, Jul 12, 2015.

1. svxenos

svxenos New commenter

Dear All,

My Reception class this year loved 'reading time' and I'd like to introduce it a bit earlier next year. Does anyone know of a cheap-ish set of books for children who can't quite blend yet, but would love to follow a traditional tale filling in the bits they know? I've lots of dinosaur books, coffee table picture books, bug books and gardening books gleaned from Oxfam, but I'd like some stories to add to the mix.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I don't have an answer to your question, but am interested to hear more about what you do for 'reading time'!

3. svxenos

svxenos New commenter

Umm, well, I don't do anything special, really. The first couple of days I read a story and talked about authors, covers, titles, how to read from l-r etc.

The next day I asked them to get a book and find somewhere quiet to sit down for a few minutes. I gradually extended it. The book corner had the books I read in class, as well as the ones the children decided to add to the book corner from the school library at the start of every term.

For the ones who are not yet at the blending stage I made sure there were lots of books based on things the class were interested in that you don't necessarily need to be able to blend to enjoy - craft books, coffee table books, popups, picture-based instruction manuals etc.

The first couple of days the adults went around asking questions about why they choose that book, what they like about it, modelling reading and how to hold the book the right way, and asking the children to tell the adult the story etc. Then we moved on to doing our individual readers and left the children to it.

Later, I told the children they could read quietly with their friends, but the only talk should be whispers about the book. They often come up to me and read their favourite bits or show me the best pictures. They sometimes read the books to each other. They love reading time, and there's a universal groan when I announce it's time to pack up the books - even though after reading time is choosing time! I think it's an easy way for them to be quiet and relax together - the normal pace in the classroom is so frantic.