1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Story writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mandy9351, May 24, 2008.

1. We once watched a cartoon and discussed that story.

My children are obsessed with those chatterbox things- they can help with story ideas etc.

Sounds like good lesson plans!... have pictures for them to take away with them- I let mine pick a setting, characters etc

2. mr matt,

what story are you using with the children? i am trying to plan a structured story writing series of lessons but need inspiration lol

K

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Jamie sorry to be negative but we spend most of our time in primary trying to get children to write grammatically correct sentences and spelling words correctly so I'm not sure the idea of LOL, BRB and L8R will work.

4. Pie Corbett's ideas for story writing always seem to work for me.

Agree with Msz - can't believe LOL has made the dictionary....

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We use Pie Corbett's ideas a lot. And some of our own. And other people's.

If it was me I would probably:
    Lesson 1: TELL the story, get them to retell it in bits around the group (sit in a circle). Play story tennis back and forwards in pairs, fours. Make a story map (either whole class, group or individual) Basically get them to LEARN the story.

Lesson 2: Recap telling the story as a class. Jot down words and phrases that stick out from the story. Use a thesaurus to find other wow words/phrases with the same effect. Use a table/planner to jot down the words and phrases in the correct part of the story (opening, build up, main event, resolution, conclusion).

Lesson 3: Recap the story. Play games telling the story with changes. Role play stories with changes. Show each other their changed stories.

Lesson 4: Write plan for the story with changes. Low Ability to use a writing frame, sort of cloze passage with just changes to be made.

Lesson 5: Write the story. Peer mark.

Lesson 6: Edit their story and improve.

I've stuck to 6 lessons as that is what you were planning, we would usually take 8 (2 weeks) to get to the end point. Cannot for the life of me see the point in 'writing up in neat' unless it is a handwriting exercise.