1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Story with autism link

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anotherteacher5, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Just wondered if there are any out there. Have done a google, but not much luck. I'm looking at planning an issues/dilemmas Literacy unit and thought a story linked to austistic spectrum disorders might support some of the children in my class. Thank you.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd. The main character is autistic, although autism is not directly mentioned. It is a really interesting story, and I think it demonstrates very well that people may be different, but they have their own strengths.

4. The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-Time is about a boy with aspergers. A very good book, even for a teacher to read. Shows how literal the boy takes simple statements.

5. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

The Red Beast (I'll have to look up author in a sec) is about a boy with Asperger's. It focuses on anger management - I used it recently with a child in my class who does not have Asperger's but does have problems controlling his rage. So far it's been brilliant and the boy in my class has said he can see himself in Rufus (the boy in the book). The strategies used there are really working for us!

6. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Author: K.I. Al-Ghani

7. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Looking after Louis- it's a lovely story that introduces children to autism.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Looking-after-Louis-Lesley-Ely/dp/1845070119

8. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

I used the book and loved it. The higher ability children loved it too. But my middles and lowers really struggled. My gifted child immediately knew that Salim was autistic. I would use the book again but would have to revamp the lessons we adapted the plans from CLPE power of reading but looks like we need to change them completely.

9. Try 'Learning About Friendship' by K.I.Al-Ghani - (same author as 'The Red Beast') There are 10 stories in this book related to making and maintaining friendship - seen through the eyes of a child with ASD. Suitable for ages 4 to 12.