1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Story Time?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Fongool, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Fongool

Fongool New commenter

I am only a trainee teacher so am not very experienced, however I have not yet seen (in the 4 schools I have experienced) any semblance of a story time that I experienced whilst in school.

I am a mature student and left primary school just as the national curriculum was introduced so I'm not sure if I am well and truly out of touch? On questioning my English lecturer she told me that this is still a recommendation to read for pleasure with the class, and research to support it. I just wondered if there are any primary school teachers out there that still manage to fit a daily 10 minute reading for pleasure session into their day - or has it been the victim of the jam-packed national curriculum?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I love to try and fit it in as I think it's a very useful and productive thing to do, even in Y6, but I find it increasingly harder and harder to squeeze in.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

It is a 'non-negotiable' at our school in every year group. The curriculum is absolutely packed full but I make time for story time (almost) every day before lunch or just before home time because I see the enjoyment it brings to the children and is one of the best ways to promote a love of reading. I'm surprised you haven't seen it in any of your schools in some form, especially as reading for pleasure is a big thing in the new curriculum. Even if it is not quite daily.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's been a feature in every primary and middle school I've taught it, as a standard thing in every year group.
    No of course not every single day without fail, but more or less daily and for 5-15 mins depending on other things.

5. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

It is a non-negotiable in our school daily too. We aim for 20 minutes.

6. Fongool

Fongool New commenter

To be honest, it's a relief that it is not unattainable and I'm glad its a non-negotiable for some schools. The schools I've been in so far have only been for a few days once a week over time. I go on my first 'proper' placement next week so that will probably be a bit more revealing.

Thank you for the feedback it has helped.

7. summlard

summlard New commenter

I've gotten into a habit of playing audio stories at the end of the day instead of reading them. Not as good I'm sure, but the children love listening to them.

Www.storynory.com is great! It has traditional and original stories on it, all read by a British voice.

8. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

? :eek::eek::eek:
    I don't usually pick up people on their grammar because I'm not always perfect, but this really bugs me.

I love reading stories and find the trend towards not having story time a crying shame.

9. funambule

funambule New commenter

Equally shocked unless the OP is American.

10. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

My whole school has story time for 15minutes at the end of every day.

ProfSnape934 likes this.
  11. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Have always read to my classes in Years 4, 5, 6. At my current school 3-3.15 is story time. I read to the children or use a Roald Dahl or Michael Morpurgo audio CD depending on what the children vote for. It's really important children still hear stories from start to finish. I saw a former pupil when she was in year 10 and she asked me if I still read stories to my class and told me how much she loved Kensuke's Kingdom when I read it to her. Even in a very busy curriculum I believe story time is crucial throughout a child's primary education.

12. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Throughout my placements I saw a variety of approaches, from non-negotiable approaches where teachers read for 10-15 minutes, to teachers showing an interactive story, showing the ITV signed stories or using audio tapes/cds. Usually always in the afternoon and before home time. It is still very much part of school life, I like to have a quick story during afternoon registration chosen by the children. They absolutely love it. It's so important to show reading for pleasure, not just for learning.

If there seems to be no 'story-time' reading, perhaps suggest reading a story to your class as a way of getting to know them and talking to your class teacher about their reading policy.

13. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Excuse me, because I'm a "granny" but also a past teacher for many years. In my retirement I was led back into the classroom of my local school for one hour a week and here the children, fed up with a sentence spiralling down the page in the name of "poetry" persuaded me to write poems for them. They especially asked for poems with rhyme, with rhythm and with lots of stories and pictures painted in words. I would take them a poem every week and this went on for over four years with different classes. In the second year they asked me to make a website and put the poems there and four boys asked me to make voice recordings of my poems - and not because they were too lazy to read. They had excellent reasons, including one had a sister who was blind. They told me they absolutely loved to sit crossed legged on the floor for just five minutes in a day, books shut, and to be taken into wonderful realms of fantasy etc with the words of my story poems. They, I know, listen at home to them from my website. Do tell your children to just Google JOSIE'S POEMS and they'll hear lots of poems, especially on my listening page. But YOU as teachers, shut your books, put your things aside, and just relax for five minutes with the children LISTENING to rhythmic poetry. It is so important for the children - and a break for you. They can hear the poems again at home, and perhaps the next day you could follow them up with a discussion, or reading the poem and stopping at the rhyming word - or going over the metre with them etc? Listening is SO important, with books out of sight!

14. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I used to love listening to to stories at school, nice and cosy around the teacher's chair. Now, my class love listening to stories, nice and cosy around my chair.

I could still tell you some of the stories my teachers read to me. I still have a fondness and affection for Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl. I love reading as an adult.

I don't remember anyone at my Junior school talking about 'non-negotiables' and I grew up all the happier for it!

ProfSnape934 likes this.
  15. ProfSnape934

ProfSnape934 New commenter

Reading a story to the class is an integral part of my decision to become a teacher in the first place. I vividly remember some of the stories (well..their names at least) that were read to me by my teachers and I always thought that doing so was my teachers favourite part of the day. Sure there are many demands on your time and lists of non negotiables but why should storytime suffer. It can really work for you and your pupils if you embed the end-of-day, just-before-lunch, just-after or indeed anytime reading of the class book into your guided reading, writing, PSHCE and anything else that you can link it to. The world of children's literature is more alive than ever. Grab hold and dive into a book.

16. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

When I was teaching in a classroom , story time was genuinely my favourite part of the day!
    We finished our day with all of the children's coats and bags on, so I felt relaxed and knew I wouldn't be rushing around collecting jumpers etc after the bell had rung, then we sat down to a story. It was lovely to end the day on a calm note as I know you will appreciate how manic ks1 especially can be!
    Also, so many of my children weren't read to at bedtime which broke my heart!
    The more you read to a child, the further they will develop in their written and spoken language, not to mention their reading abilities ! Most importantly, it fostered a love of learning and s love for reading which I hope children remembered more than any other reading lesson we had in class.

My favourite talking book website was called storyline online and this was great for those days when you are trying to organize book bags or homework and physically don't have the time to read to your pupils.

Happy reading :)