1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Story Time Club Year 1/2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Chilli_bean, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Chilli_bean

Chilli_bean New commenter

I'm starting a story time club in my bilingual school. My club will be with Year 1/2 with varying abilities in English. I thought each session could involve reading a story then doing an activity and perhaps some free reading/exploring at the end. I'd really appreciate any ideas or books that other people have used.

Thanks

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Could you include some drama? Children usually really enjoy acting out stories, and 'doing' as well as 'hearing' will be helpful for those whose English isn't great.

3. littlecreativedays

littlecreativedays New commenter

Hi I run a blog about linking creative activities to stories, the idea is that children then interact with the story through whatever it is that they have made https://littlecreativedays.wordpress.com/ I'm trying to build the idea of creative literacy. I also run a company called Little Creative Days so you will find the odd news post on there as well but just click on free projects and you will find all the details of my weekly sesssions. I try to provide downloadable templates.

4. JU3fromLeics

JU3fromLeics Occasional commenter

Handa's Surprise might be worth considering.

Bear Hunt involves lots of actions.