1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Story telling with actions a la Pie corbett- Does anyone have the list of actions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dalian Daisy, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Hello, I went on a Literacy course recently where they did an example of re-telling a story using actions- we did Dogger. It comes from a Pie Corbett thing where there are some set actions fro common words like Once Upon a time, but, who, unfortunately, luckily, but the end.
    I am doing stories with familiar settings and want to try this with the children but can't remember the set actions. Does anyone have a link to them or know where I might find them? I could make my own up.
    Cheers x

2. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

the ones the pie corbett uses are based on makaton signs, but he has made a few up himself i think. but the one for who (moving your finger round in a circular motion up by your ear) is a makaton sign, you can get a book on these or use the ict programme 'writing with symbols'

3. k_e

k_e

You can get the book and dvd from scholastic. It's called storyteller (might be cheaper on amazon) http://shop.scholastic.co.uk/products/23097 I did the 3 little pigs with my reception class and they loved it! They even showed the rest of the school in assembly with only small prompts. It's fantastic!

4. Thanks for your replies, could you tell me some of the other actions so I can use them before I get the book? Thanks for the sign for who! I know I've got makaton somewhere, just need to dig it out. Ta x

5. These are the actions I've got on a sheet. I then make up my own actions for vocabulary that is specific to the story I'm doing.
    Once upon a time - open hands like a book
    Early one morning - hands to side of head and pretend to wake up
    First - one finger pointed up
    Next - two fingers pointed to one side
    But - fingers down
    Because - hands out open palmed
    At that moment/Suddenly - Hands opened expressively as if in surprise
    Unfortunately - hands open to side with shrug
    Luckily - fists closed then opened like starts
    After that - roll hands over in turning gesture
    So - roll hands forwards slightly and open as if giving
    Finally - palm facing audience like a policeman stopping traffic
    In the end - bring hands together as if closing book
    Eventually - hands on hips
    Then - hand flat and forward (palm down)
    However - finger on cheek/thumb on chin
    Meanwhile - double point to 'somewhere else'

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The only one we do differently is "next" and we do sort of a chopping action at an angle with both hands to the side.

7. Can imagine this working really well in KS1 but has anyone used this idea in upper KS2?
    I think the underlying principles apply equally to a lot of KS2 children.

8. I'm wondering the same. We're doing Greek myths and I can see this being very useful for structure and language. I saw a video of Year 3 children telling a myth in this way but I am unsure whether Year 5/6 would go for it as I am teaching upper KS2 for the first time. Any experienced teachers know whether they would be into it or not?

9. Hi

I use the Pie Corbett approach with every literacy text i use, and i teach year 5. It works brilliantly and the kids love it - especially the boys!

10. I've done it with year 2 and 3, and my collegue who came on the course with me did it with her really bright year 4 class and they loved it!

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Our Y5 and 6 love it.
    I went on the Talk Write (non fiction version ) in the summer and we tried it out at the end of term they loved making up their own actions.

12. Daffodil23- Thank you sooooo much! That was just what I was after! Now just gotta practice with Owl babies! Better make sure my husband isn't around, he'll think I've gone crackers!!

13. I'm going to try this with my year 2 class soon. What I'm worried about it both remembering all the different actions and the story. Using Charlie and Lola as the stimulus.
    Have watched a video of Pie Corbett doing a course for teachers and them all doing the different actions, can imagine the kids would enjoy it.

14. I think you just need to read the story over and over again to yourself so you're really familiar with it and the children will take you lead. I also think if you distill the story down to the 'bare bones' of say 7-8 points then you'll remember it. Good Luck!

15. Just wondering whether I could have a look at your Pie corbett Owl babies story and actions. Just sstarting talk for writing so would appreciate any advice.
    Thank you
    janisthorpe@sky.com

16. Hi I'm looking for some actions a la pie corbett too...sounds like you got some?? Are you able to put them in resources? Googled Pie Corbett and found some good ideas on which words, connectives etc to use in each year group I'll try and put these on. Hope Owl babies is going well! We've done 3 bears and little red hen so far!

17. Hi all,
    I love the Pie Corbett ideas but only really know the story telling ones, lucky enough to go on a day course with him while on placement a couple of years ago.
    I'm doing adventure stories with my year 3 class and we made up the actions together to tell the story, they really enjoyed this and are now telling the story at every op! I think they went for it more because they go to input and I only taught them the basic actions - early one morning, suddenly etc.

18. EBC

EBC New commenter

I love doing the actions with my Year 1 class, but so far, only the little red hen as its repetative.
    Can you recommend any other stories for children this young?
    Also, I did get stuck for the 2nd part of the theory, we told the story..lots, acted and did simple things like speech bubbles etc - but what would you do next?
    This week we planned a 'story' without writing it, because im not sure they can yet - so we changed the animals. Would you get them to start writing longer bits yet? They are a good Year 1 class, so they could write - I just dont know how to start ????
    Thank you

19. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Think of the three I's.
    1) Imitation
    The children are taught to retell stories. Teachers ensure that the children learn the stories in whole sentences rather than a stream of sentences loosely linked by 'and then'. This part of the sequence is focused upon acquiring literate patterns of language.
    2) Innovation
    Once the children know a story well, and can retell it without help, they can then 'innovate'. This means taking the known tale and making changes to create something different. For instance, characters' names or place names could be changed, or the tale could be told from a different viewpoint, setting or time.
    3) Invention
    As the children internalise more stories, and use these to create their own increasingly sophisticated tales, they are in a strong position to invent their own narratives. To do this they call upon all the patterns that they have internalised - their own 'store' of narrative building blocks including settings, characters, events, dilemmas, resolutions - plus relevant vocabulary and sentence structures. A key strand to the project is regular making up of stories, calling upon ingredients from the store of known tales.
    (Taken from Literacy Today website)

Candyfloss, you asked about a suitable storytelling myth to use. I teach Year 3 and we taught them a quest myth called Bloddon's Adventure, which I think was adapted by a previous teacher in our school from a different story. Basically, Bloddon (the hero) has to go and find the magic flower (the quest), meets some people on the way, gets stopped by a troll (the monster who caused a problem) and gets the flower before returning home. (Resolution)
    I can type it up here if you like? It fills one side of a4 when typed out properly so isn't very long but has connectives, speech and an easy format to innovate upon.

The easiest way to learn these stories is to decide on your actions, translate into a picture-based storymap and use that instead. If you have the text in front of you, you automatically read instead of learning it.
    Hope that helps!

20. Sleighbelle,
    I am familiar with the Y6 version of Bloddon's adventure but would love a copy of the Y3 version your colleague did as I am now in year 3 and would love to use the Pie Corbett actions etc.

many thanks
    Pavillion