1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

story related to hills and mountains for KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissSmiley1, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Hi,

Our topic for this half term is on hills and mountains. I'm trying to find a book that is either set or is about hills and mountains. Has anyone got any suggestions?

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

This isnt going to be very helpful but it sounds like this topic lends itself more to non fiction. Ive been trying to think of fiction books for you but im stumped, the only thing i could think of that was remotely related was dinosaurs and all that rubbish by michael foreman. What is it your planning on doing with the book?

3. The only story that comes to mind at the moment is The Three Billy Goats Gruff- crossing from one hill to another?! Bit of weak link but all I can think of!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Cloudland?

[​IMG]

5. TOWIB

TOWIB New commenter

A Balloon for Grandad is a lovely story (Nigel Gray?). A little boy lets his balloon go and his dad tells him a story of how it has travelled across the mountains, seas and deserts. The illustrations are brilliant for geographical work.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

7. Thank you for all your ideas, I am going to have a look at all the books. Cloudland sounds fab!. I am going to be doing a non-fiction book later on in the term once the children have settled in and learnt a little about hills and mountains.

Miss Smiley

8. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Two monsters - by David McKee
    and
    When the snow comes - by Jonathon Allen

9. inq

inq

10. byjingo

byjingo New commenter

Little Beaver and the Echo, not specifically about mountains but the echo comes from the hills.

11. Thank you for all the suggestions. They have all been very helpful.

Miss Smiley

12. intime

intime New commenter

Has to be George and the Dragon by Christopher Wormell. Pupils can re-tell the story with actions, then write their own version - can then change the tiny animal which scares the dragon!