1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Story Openings - help please!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skt107, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I have an observation tomorrow and was going to focus on connectives in their adventure stories, but as I was trying to get them to tell their stories today, their openings were very poor! So I'm changing my observation to get them to write an interesting opening.
    What I'm struggling with though is how to differentiate it? My Must Should Could? Please help! I'd really appreciate it!

2. What year are you??

For your M/S/C you could go along the lines of
    Must - Include adjectives (eg. Tall, old trees towered over my head.)
    Should - Describe the setting using the senses (eg. The earthy smell of the woods drifted around my nose with the gentle breeze.)
    Could - Open sentences with 'ly' words (eg. Carefully he creeped into the dark wood, the thick green gass was like a carpet under his feet)

Am I thinking along the right lines here? Does this help?

Good luck :eek:)

3. Yes this helps a lot - thank you! I am Year 3. We're doing action stories so was trying to get them to open with something a bit more dramatic. Where it is calm, but there's a hint that something is wrong.

4. okay - so I'm thinking a character opening...focussing on characters feelings...play different types of music to start and get them to explain what they are doing (action words - glaring. strolling etc)
    How can I differentiate this? Must: Use some WOW action words. Should: Adverbs? Could: Short snappy sentence?