1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Story openings and endings.... (Y6 - yep tests!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WendyN, May 1, 2006.

1. In the soon-to-end quest for excellent SATs/NCTs/£%#$&* results we are addressing story writing with Y6 next week.

Does anyone have any recommendations for stories with really exciting beginnings or quirky endings?
    We are focussing on grouping openings - have dialogue, action and description so far - what have I forgotten?

Are there any bright ideas for grouping endings? I was thinking about - open endings, maybe using ellipses (?) or rhetorical questions, stories that end with the event that happens before the flashback at the beginning (there MUST be a better way to explain that!)

We will also be doing timed planning - giving them 10 minutes to plan a story. Most of mine NEVER do a plan OR take 20 minutes to do it! Any tried and tested ideas/prompts for this?

Any help VERY VERY gratefully received!
    Wend

4 teaching days...

2. In the soon-to-end quest for excellent SATs/NCTs/£%#$&* results we are addressing story writing with Y6 next week.

Does anyone have any recommendations for stories with really exciting beginnings or quirky endings?
    We are focussing on grouping openings - have dialogue, action and description so far - what have I forgotten?

Are there any bright ideas for grouping endings? I was thinking about - open endings, maybe using ellipses (?) or rhetorical questions, stories that end with the event that happens before the flashback at the beginning (there MUST be a better way to explain that!)

We will also be doing timed planning - giving them 10 minutes to plan a story. Most of mine NEVER do a plan OR take 20 minutes to do it! Any tried and tested ideas/prompts for this?

Any help VERY VERY gratefully received!
    Wend

4 teaching days...

3. Edukate

Edukate New commenter

Alan Peat has some excellent ideas for improving writing. I have used many of them and have downloaded some to a word doc. If u let me have your e mail address i can send the file to you. With my Y6 class we looked at them together on the IWB and then they generated their own examples on white boards etc. It was good fun and, hopefully, beneficial!

4. jlo

jlo New commenter

5. I've used the opening of The Da Vinci Code. (Slightly altered to remove swear word).

6. Edukate, could I please have a copy of the Alan Peat stuff. Desperate for anything that might help in the last week!!
    melanie_knight@hotmail.com

Thank you!

7. Edukate, could I please have a copy of the Alan Peat stuff as swell if you have the time.
    Thanks.
    roshman@blueyonder.co.uk

8. too - even!

9. Step by wicked step by Anne Fine is a great story opening.....

Personally found the rest of the book a bit of an anti-climax but the first couple of pages are great!

10. Edukate - Any chance of another. Sounds like would be great and I need something fast!
    liz@paps2.demon.co.uk

11. hey edukate,
    can i be a bum and ask too...i am a very freaked out new year 6 teacher!! thank you ;-)
    shireenb@yahoo.com

12. sirenne

sirenne New commenter

Hi - I'm another new Y6 teacher desperate for any tips! The stuff on improving writing would be really useful though I bet you wish you never mentioned it LOL!

sirenne_uk@yahoo.com

13. Edukate

Edukate New commenter

Hope i've e mailed evryone so far. I know I may have done some twice - sorry. shireenbee - cant send to u, do u have an alternative e mail address?

14. Hi Edukate, hope you can send me the Alan Peat stuff also? I couldn't find an email address to contact you directly. Many thanks (suesmart75@hotmail.com)

15. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

This looks as if it would be useful for the Year 5's I am teaching In September. I would be very grateful if you could send the information to wonderwomanJen@hotmail.co.uk

I would be very grateful.

I hadn't heard of AAlan Peat before but I did a search on Google and it looks like he has produced some useful material on children's writing.

16. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

17. original post was 2006! Might not get a reply?