1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Story for job interview, Year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by whoopsidaisies, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Hello!

I have an interview on Monday. I was originally told that I wouldn't have to do any teaching, just more interacting with the children, but now I have to bring a story to read to a group of 20 Year 3 children. I've only just read the email and I am so glad that I did check it!! Honestly!

Anyway - it doesn't say I have to do any teaching, just this....

"You will have a 15 minute slot in which to read a story of your choice to a group of approximately 20 Year 3 children. The story itself should last between 5 and 10 minutes, allowing for 5 minutes discussion time."

Has anyone got any ideas which story I could read? Something with a moral? Are picture books too young for Year 3? I think with this kind of time frame, it's really all you can do. You can't read a Horrid Henry story, for example, in 5-10 mins. It doesn't say that I have to teach with it, just discuss.

I have one idea - Something Else by Kathryn Cave.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Something-Else-Picture-Puffin-Kat...

This is a simple story about a creature called Something Else who is excluded from his neighbour's activities because he behaves and looks different. But then when an even stranger creature tries to make friends with Something Else, he doesn't want to know, until he sees himself in the mirror.

Is this too boring/simple for Year 3? I've only taught Year 1, Year 2 and Year 5. It would take about 5-10 mins to read.

Any other ideas?? Please!! I'm in full panic mode. Do you think they expect a mini lesson even if they haven't said? I don't think it needs a LO.

2. Hello!

I have an interview on Monday. I was originally told that I wouldn't have to do any teaching, just more interacting with the children, but now I have to bring a story to read to a group of 20 Year 3 children. I've only just read the email and I am so glad that I did check it!! Honestly!

Anyway - it doesn't say I have to do any teaching, just this....

"You will have a 15 minute slot in which to read a story of your choice to a group of approximately 20 Year 3 children. The story itself should last between 5 and 10 minutes, allowing for 5 minutes discussion time."

Has anyone got any ideas which story I could read? Something with a moral? Are picture books too young for Year 3? I think with this kind of time frame, it's really all you can do. You can't read a Horrid Henry story, for example, in 5-10 mins. It doesn't say that I have to teach with it, just discuss.

I have one idea - Something Else by Kathryn Cave.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Something-Else-Picture-Puffin-Kat...

This is a simple story about a creature called Something Else who is excluded from his neighbour's activities because he behaves and looks different. But then when an even stranger creature tries to make friends with Something Else, he doesn't want to know, until he sees himself in the mirror.

Is this too boring/simple for Year 3? I've only taught Year 1, Year 2 and Year 5. It would take about 5-10 mins to read.

Any other ideas?? Please!! I'm in full panic mode. Do you think they expect a mini lesson even if they haven't said? I don't think it needs a LO.

3. Hmm I'm just trying to think of some. With good discussion points. Maybe
    Six Dinner Sid - a cat eats at a different house each day, gets found out when taken to the same vet 6 times.
    A Colin McNaugton (I think) book like Suddenly,which they can join in with
    Rainbow Fish
    Antony Brown book - but would need to be big as there is so much extra in the pictures> my year 3's loved Voices in the Park but that might be too long. Maybe the Tunnel?
    Hope these ideas help. I don't know the one you mentioned.

4. Antony Browne books are lovely! I love Voices in the Park, Piggybook and Gorilla is my absolute fave! I use these for P4C so there is plenty to discuss.

Something Else is lovely too- have used this with Y2 and the enjoyed it!
    Good luck!

5. Thanks Miika. I will have to make a trip to the local library tomorrow morning. It is rather small so I doubt I will get much there on such short notice. I'm really worried now. Do you think they are expecting a learning objective, or is it merely reading a story and discussing?

6. Thanks nicola. So Something Else isn't too young? I've used it for Year 1 before.

I was thinking of numbering the children 1,2,3 - quickly split into their three groups on the carpet, one group to look at the feelings of Something Else, the second to look at the feelings of the other animals, and the final group to think of the feelings of the second Something Else in the story. And then discuss. That way they have a focus, can discuss in their groups, and then talk about it to the whole group and me. Or is that too much to do in such a small space of time?

Is it rubbish?? I really want this job badly. I love the school. I love the year group.

7. I would of thought they were looking to see how you involve and interact with the children while reading. So maybe a book without too much text, like Suddenly (there are others but I can't remember their names) Get them to predict what will happen, tell you about the characters/setting. A book they know won't matter its getting them all to join in, respond and stay on task. Encourage hands up, pick as many differnt people as posiible to answer, let those who seem shy know you're going to ask them next etc. I would involve children through discussion whole way through and let it just flow naturally.

8. Thanks, Miika. I will go to the library and see if there is anything like that. If not, then I will have to stick with my original plan.

On my last interview, I was told that I didn't engage enough with the children. I am engaging and I do engage! Any tips on nerves?

I know I can do it, I want this job! I hate the competition though. As it's through NQT pool, I don't know how many they are interviewing. I hope I'm the better candidate!!

9. What about Aldo (John Burningham)? Not much text, lovely pictures and loooaaads of discussion. My kids love it and they're y3 - y6.

10. Thanks for the tip, Janie. That's one I've not heard of. Unfortunately, I just checked my local library, and it isn't there.... only 6 copies in Hampshire and none are local/on the shelf. Given that it's on Monday, I can't order it.

I'm so worried about this. I want this job sooooo bad! I don't want another 'no' or 'it was so close, if there were two posts then we would employ the both of you'. I don't think I can stand it again!

Please send positive vibes my way!! :-D

11. I would say Rainbowfish and Six Dinner Sid are too babyish for Year 3. The Rainbowfish is a Reception text and Six Dinner Sid is Y1/2. This may seem like you have low expectations of the pupils. You need to try to show you have "high expectations". Last year my school were looking for a Y3 teacher and one lady did the Rainbowfish and she was slated. In my last school, a lady came and did the Hare and the Tortoise but she did it using prompts. She had a treasure chest and in it she had things to massage children in! It sounds horrendous but it got her the job and she was a brilliant teacher.
    A story with a moral is a very good idea. Do not play safe and do an infant book as the other nanditates will do that!

12. What about Theseus and the Minotaur? As you tell the story select children to stand at the front and act out the parts. You could bring in some fancy dress/prompts. The children would definitely remember you. Remember, other candidates will do things so you need to be the best!!!! Or.....something from the 'SEAL DFES'(type in SEAL to Google) stories have good morals and you can have children acting with you too.
    Good luck but go for it. I've seen som many people turn up for interviews with the best Cv only to do a dull lesson.

13. The True story of the Three Little Pigs is brilliant. It is about how the the Three Little Pigs turn the table on the Big Bad Wolf.

14. Hi I have read Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain to my class of year 3s (showed them where Africa was on a map) and they loved it, I played some African music and then they wrote down similarities and differences between Africa and England. They could do this verbally. Not very exciting but they loved it, also there is a version that is spoken by a man from Kapiti on the internet (but then you would not be reading - maybe show it without the sound?)
    Good luck :) Year 3 is a fantastic year group.

15. Argh!! I don't know what to do now!

They are all such fantastic ideas, but I have 2 days to find those books (and not to forget the resources) in and they're not in my library!

Does that makes sense? Is 'Something Else' really that infant a-text?

Advice please!!!! I am so unbelievably worried now.

16. try either the 3 little wolves and the big bad pig or room on the broom as both are great for getting children to respond to text-I have used both in year 3.

17. zap

zap

this is probably too late now, but giraffe can't dance is a good one...it was read to us at an NQT day, and i read it to the children and they responded...
    it illustrates well that we are not all the same, but different and that everyone has hidden talents..the children responded to it expeicially because of the rhyme

18. Thanks for all of the help. I went with Something Else in the end because it was something I had there at such short notice and I knew the story quite well (plus I think it's cute!). The kids seemed to love the story and the discussion, although hard work, went well.

To cut a long story short, I got the job!!! Woo hoo! I'll be teaching Year 4. The school is lovely. I'm in shock, excited but also petrified! haha.

19. phelisia

phelisia New commenter

Oh wow! That's fabulous

WELL DONE!!

xx

20. Congratulations! I'm glad it went well for you.