1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Story based literacy session For interview

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tak1991, Apr 30, 2016.

1. tak1991

tak1991 New commenter

Hi I am a reception teacher who has an interview for a nursery position on Tuesday .

I need to do a story based literacy session. It must have clear into , teaching and plenary.

The children must learn something new.

I was thinking of reading goldilocks and the three bears then using props to get the children to retell it ( it would included different sized bowls cups beds spoons etc. And a tough spot of porridge ) the plenary would then be that I dropped the cups etc. And then need to rematch them back.

Or I had a story sack , introduced children to the objects and then we made up a story with the objects on large paper before I read the story for plenary

Do these sound good or any better ideas ?

2. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Yes these activities sound fine. My advice would be to do something you are confident with as this will be evident in the way you present it. I saw your post on the other forum about bear hunt and it made me think of a lovely activity one of our nursery teachers did with story mapping it using large paper and children using it to retell the activity - would be lovely to encourage mark making in some way. Just an idea and hopefully some other people will be along to give you advice or ideas :)

3. tak1991

tak1991 New commenter

Yes I wasn't sure however if it would be too predictable of a text to use at interview . It is one that I would be confident in delivering but I am sure they have heard it a gazillion times at interviews

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Sorry didn't see that you posted twice, I wonder if the mods can merge the two into one

5. tak1991

tak1991 New commenter

Yeah I realised that I have uploaded twice sorry. Do you think we are going on a bear hunt is a Nono aswell .

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Have you decided what this will be?

From your first lesson idea (Goldilocks), it sounds as if the main objective is to get the children to retell the story. As Goldilocks is a well known story, I would imagine that some children would be able to retell it before you begin your lesson. What will they be learning during your lesson? (I'm not saying don't do it... but you must think about this, as it has been clearly stated in the instructions.)

Your second idea (about the story sack) has more potential, in my opinion. However, I'm not sure how confident I would feel doing it during an interview, as you don't know the children and they don't know you (so they might be shy to volunteer ideas). If you would feel confident, then go for it!

Good luck for your interview.

7. tak1991

tak1991 New commenter

yes I have decided that I will sequence a story with the children. I am going to choose one that is able to be acted out ( either we're going on a bear hunt or jack and the flum flum tree) and therefore that will be the main part of the story and then we are going to make maps of where we found the bear or fruit ( similar to those that are on pinterest) where there is a road and we draw or add pictures of each part of the story in the correct order.

I thought about having a lost teddy bear poster or something that leads into us needing to remember the story.

8. swotter

swotter New commenter

If I was observing you for a job I would be more interested in your interactions with the children. Keep the story simple and have some follow on tasks that link to the story. If a child says something, respond to them.
    You have no idea what they have been learning/ what they can do so don't worry too much about that. Have lots of positive behaviour strategies to engage the children.
    If the lesson goes badly talk about it in the interview. Say how you would improve it.
    Good luck.