1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Story Activity TA Interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by itsagabbeh, Jul 19, 2019.

1. itsagabbeh

itsagabbeh New commenter

I've been asked to do a 20 minute story activity for a group of 5 year 2's on a text of my choice in an interview for a teaching assistant position on Monday. I've chosen to do the chapters about Mr Twit in Roald Dahl's The Twits. I'm currently making a fake beard for the children to identify other disgusting things that may be found in Mr Twits beard, and also try to think of reasons (maybe even debate? With me pretending to be Mr Twit?) that he should wash it.

Is this correct kind of activity? I've been excited to do this but thinking that I am overthinking what I should be doing. Please help/advice?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't over-worry about the activity too much, it is your interaction with the children that an observer will be looking for.

Good Luck with it. :)

sunshineneeded likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sounds fab to me... I'd love to see that in a TA interview.
    But I agree with @Lara mfl 05 about interactions as well.

Do you have a learning objective for the session?

Lara mfl 05 and sunshineneeded like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I've observed several TAs who were applying for jobs this week - all were asked to bring an activity of their choice to do with a small group of Year 2s for 15 minutes (not really enough information for them to go on, but that's the way it was). I always start by giving them time to set up before I bring the children, and I would definitely have been very impressed with the activity you're planning! It sounds great! Lara and caterpillar are absolutely right - it will be all about your interaction with the children. Introduce yourself, ask their names and do your best to remember them, make sure everyone is included - and smile!
    Best of luck and let us know how it goes.