1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stormzy should be taught in schools instead of Mozart to prevent exclusions (apparently!)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, May 22, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Stormzy should be taught in schools instead of Mozart to prevent pupils from being excluded, a charity study said. Youth Music, a national charity endorsed by the musician and presenter Myleene Klass, is calling for an “urgent transformation” of the music curriculum.

[​IMG]

It said that schools need to “shake up” the way music is taught and exchange classical music for grime, hip-hop and electro, with help from music industries.

Yeah?

Like people will still be playing Stormzy's "music" in 350 years' time??

2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I have the impression that music has been pretty much squeezed out of schools, at least in the maintained sector.

3. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 New commenter

It is possible that people will be playing Stormzy's music in 350 years time. Don't dismiss his music just because it is not your taste.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The subject could be taught with a vocational angle, and has been, but so few have the natural talent to pursue it as a job.

Not all rappers are devoid of classical influence anyway - take m'man Coolio channeling Pachelbel for example. Coolio is already considered 'Old School' - a bit like Mozart:

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[Still wonders whether Coolio's 'Rap Variations on a Theme by Pachabel' will be on the concert programme in the year 2370 or - were I to live that long - I would still see Mozart's 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik'.]

magic surf bus and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I couldn't agree more. The Mozart thing is completely elitist, all about "look how much I know and how much you don't"
    There's way too much pomp and irrelevance about classical artistry. I get really fed up of all the pretension spouted by people purporting to be experts on the good of Mozart, when actually it is perfectly clear that they have never even properly looked at a single one of his paintings!

7. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

Interesting to think of the longevity of music genres. Easy to assume we'll still be playing Mozart and Beethoven because they've already lasted hundreds of years but is that really true? "Classical" music is on the decline isn't it; maybe in 350 years, only academics will have heard of Mozart.
    Then conversely, we've had musical artists in our lifetimes such as the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix etc. whose music is widely known and appreciated by a far larger audience than Mozart and Beethoven ever had.
    So is the longevity based on the popularity of a style of music or is there an inherent "quality" that means we still enjoy classical music. If you believe the latter, whilst I won't debate if Stomzy has this "quality", are there any examples of non-classical music that do and that we will still be listening to in 350 years?

nick909 likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm not that surprised... we live in an ahistorical era. Knowledge of the past is frowned upon, dismissed as too white, too European, not reflective of our 'diverse' age.

Teaching English, the poems we study, we don't touch on much from the grand canon of English poetry... Shakespeare at a push. Instead most of it is more modern works, reflective of the culture we now live in. We study Hunger Games and Harry Potter more than we touch on any of the great novels of English literature [that does change in year 10 and GCSE] ..

nomad likes this.
  9. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

My favourite moment in film is the scene in Shawshank Rebellion when Mozart is played over the loudspeaker in the prison yard.

There's an awful lot of inverse snobbery when it comes to music.

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Forget it if it has anything to do with Myleene (no) Class. She is full of the stuff that comes out of male bovines. I thought music was either off the curriculum or ignored in schools anyway?

minnie me likes this.
  11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What's that then?

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes.
    "Merry Christmas Everybody" by Slade.
    It's already had repeated airplay for seven hundred and eighty six years, so it does have form.

cissy3, EmanuelShadrack and Jamvic like this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

By 2370 the only music being made will be with sticks, animal skin drums, and bone flutes if we don't get a grip on climate change. I suspect the merits of Mozart v Styormzy will be largely irrelevant. :)

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I suspect by then the only "music" will be the buzzing of flies and maybe the farts of herbivores that have survived the apocalypse.

les25paul and magic surf bus like this.
  15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah, that was lovely!
    Was that the one with Tom Robinson and Morton Freemantle?

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You have synaesthesia? Seeing music?

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Pretty much as Spike Jones demonstrated in the opening of this.

George_Randle and nomad like this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

See, as in...

Actually, I suspect musical synaesthesia might be very interesting. A bit like the abstract stuff in Disney's "Fantasia".

racroesus likes this.
  19. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Yes, dear sbk. I get goosepimples whenever I think of it.

20. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Can someone please post it? I don't have a clue about how to do it. It's from The Marriage of Figaro.