1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storm Nigel on approach!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

So, the Met Office ran a competition to find suitable male and female names for future storms. Strong names, resonant of gales, thunder and lightning; names that would make you sit up and take notice. That's what they wanted.
    I had a little think, and sent off my suggestions: Boudicaa, Thor, Walkyrie and Kara - warrior names; names that might make you tremble a little.

What did they choose? Storm Nigel, Katie, Steve, Barney and Wendy!

Storm in a teacup, more like! As if I'm going to batten down the hatches when I hear storm Nigel's on its way.

kibosh likes this.
  2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

A Nigel could be fiercer than a Kevin.....

kibosh likes this.
  3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

The public gets what the public wants. Think people were asked to vote (from a given list mind you)

4. Dunteachin

They weren't asked to vote from a given list. They just said send us your ideas. So, I did.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Since England's weather is mainly from the West we could send you Finn MacCool and Cuchulainn.

Rhoswen77 and kibosh like this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm going underground.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

That would be wintry weather, going by the name then?

kibosh likes this.
  8. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

;)
    Pick a prize...anything from the bottom shelf.

9. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Let's stop with first names, as they're too over-familiar. I'd like a formal approach.

For a freezing weather storm front I'd like -

Ms Chapel Hatpegs
    Mr Frozen McDongalies

Easily understood, particularly if the weather person uses both terms. Actually thinking this could really help the BBC weather in their whole ethos of 'balance'.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:D I'd forgotten that phrase even existed!

I like the idea of the weather lady/man saying "We might be getting a visit from Ms. Chapel Hatpegs in the next few days and she might even bring her friend Mr. Brass-Monkey".

kibosh and Dunteachin like this.
  11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My toddler is named Finn; he is indeed a force of nature.....if only I could harness his power for good, not chaos.

12. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

Is Kevin a favourite name then?

13. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

No Hurricane Ahmed? I'm offended.

14. Dunteachin

I didn't send in Kevin but I think it's been chosen. There's a full list somewhere.
    I was disappointed to see such ordinary names for a great force of nature, hence my own suggestions. Which I thought were rather inspired!:)

kibosh likes this.
  15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Having experienced Hurricane Charley first-hand in 2004 it's difficult to imagine getting too worked up about Storm Nigel.

However if someone told me Storm Thatcher was on the way I'd know the country was screwed and would head for the hills. The naming process needs more imagination applying to it.

HelenREMfan and kibosh like this.
  16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hurricane Hitler and Storm Stalin

magic surf bus likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

That's more like it - Tropical Storm B*stard, Hurricane Vinnie, Storm Tyson, maybe even Deepening Depression Marvin. Tap into the popular psyche.

kibosh and monicabilongame like this.