1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storm Frank

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

(the other flooding thread got a bit taken up with climate change)

I think we just caught the edge of the storm and the amount of rain is incredible and it just keeps coming. Best wishes to everyone coping with flooding. We're okay here but it's enough to make me realise the impact on other areas.
    Hope everyone can stay dry, warm and well fed over the next few days.

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I am in a flooding area, though not personally affected. We just have the strong winds at the moment. Suspect the rain will start soon. We are doing our shop today anyway, but may be a good idea in case we get cut off.

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we have strong winds too. going off to buy bread and milk in a bit.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Storm Frank is being a noisy blighter outside blowing all over the place....

5. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I think naming storms is a mistake.

It just encourages them.

6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I'm liking Storm Frank - have got two loads of washing dry!

7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

When did they start naming storms? I don't remember them having names in the past. And why?

aspensquiver likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think... don't know... it's because of the competition between weather info providers ... remember the Met Office lost the BBC contract for example... so giving them names makes them 'sexy' and they become a product to sell.

aspensquiver likes this.
  9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Hmm... Makes them sound rather too friendly. The Great Storm of 1987 has a little more dignity as a name.

aspensquiver likes this.
  10. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

And I'm not sure I want my storms to be 'sexy'

aspensquiver likes this.
  11. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Naming the rotten things is annoying in the extreme. It's all part of the dumbing down thing weather forecast presenters lurve. It started with "all the while" and "spits and spots". Bleurgh

12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I remember a Storm Cassandra when I was in Primary School (in the 80s). My best friend at the time was called Cassandra and it was the source of much amusement in my class.
    I think it's done to make it easier to differentiate between different storms happening at the same time (probably more relevant in larger countries) but I guess also helps keep things clear for industries that operate across the globe too.

13. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

most so far have been named by the Irish

14. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Have gone off him slightly as I've just had to chase a shirt around the back garden.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

With the plethora of socks, tights and trousers about they aren't as sexy as they could be.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They have chosen ****-poor names so far.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

'Frank' would hardly stir Jude.

18. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

There was an explanation somewhere
    here

19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Bluddy Frank has just weeked the lid off my bin and hurled into next door's garden.

Edit: The dustbinmen have just been and gone, and now, unfettered by ballast, someone's refuse receptacle is cantering down the hill.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's recycling bin day here and there's cardboard and bottles all over the place. My bin had tipped over and I cleaned up the smashed glass but there's no point trying to clean up the rest until the bins have been emptied and we can put them away.