1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storm Desmond

Discussion in 'Personal' started by josienig, Dec 5, 2015.

1. josienig

josienig Star commenter

Storm Desmond is wreaking havoc on the west coast of Ireland..up to 100mm of rain in last 24 hours. We'll need a few Arks soon!

2. Mullam

Mullam Occasional commenter

I gather calling is Storm 'Desmond' has raised the question of racism.

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Cumbria is suffering again too

midnight_angel and josienig like this.
  4. Mullam

I know. Just saw it on the news. I really feel for the people there because they've gone through this twice before in tbev last ten years and their insurance will be sky-high, if they can get it at all.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Are we on to the 4th named storm already?
    Commiserations to anyone caught up in them. We've got strong winds 'down south' but without the rain.

(Like the new Christmas avatar @Didactylos4 !)

6. josienig

josienig Star commenter

Why so?

7. Mullam

The barbershop!

8. josienig

josienig Star commenter

Yes Lara, although the names of 1st three caused a bit of a giggle and didn't cause widespread damage..Barney resulted in people putting gifs of purple Barney on weather maps. Clodagh was considered too nice a name to cause any big harm and any damage was quite localised.
    I thought Desmond was benign enough too, but he's decided to to prove me very wrong! We had a big fundraising event in school today that had to be cancelled..has cost extra-curricular kitty about 2 thousand euro and a local charity the proceeds of the raffle on the day. But others are suffering serious effects of the storm.

9. Didactylos4

Definitely the first one for a while to trigger a red warning from the Met Office

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Pictures of Cumbria look quite bad ad the weather map is full of 'red' anywhere above a diagonal line form the Bristol Channel it seems.
    Take care everyone.

11. Didactylos4

The winds are starting to drop again here and the arin is only coming in patches now.
    At the worst point even in the shelter of the village the wind was gusting to 47mph on my meter
    And I'm on the east side of the Pennines so it's quieter here

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Desmond has almost achieved what the referendum failed to do.

Lara mfl 05 and RedQuilt like this.
  14. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

It's a bit worrying that the whole south western end of Scotland is under flood alert! Just blanketed orange.
    Should they be building *****?

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hope people in areas affected are OK.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

arks?

17. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

So I was one of the lucky ones, half my adopted city was underwater over the weekend, as were many other towns roundabout. The transport network, both here and more widely, is decimated: the city is gridlocked and people have 100 mile round trips to work :( never mind those with no homes and a ruined Christmas.

But everyone is digging in to offer practical help or donations. I bought some items to take to a donation centre and it was FULL of people dropping off, sorting out and getting it out again. Wherever you go since Saturday, there is a real sense of togetherness and camaraderie.

Despite everything that's happened, I'm so proud of my fellow Carlisle people :) I shall leave you with a shot from the top of the flood bank, AFTER the water levels dropped, still 9ft above the fields!
    sketch-1449694941876.jpg FB_IMG_1449610164342.jpg

Duke of York, Lara mfl 05 and kibosh like this.
  18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Surely not!

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Should not be building on flood plains.

20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That's great to hear.

A lady who works in our local pharmacy had a fire in her home last week, caused by a phone charger catching light. The family lost everything so the pharmacy set up an appeal on her behalf for donations. Within a day or so, I was making regular trips to the pharmacy with items our elderly residents decided they could afford to donate. Among them was a fairly new TV, a steam iron that was still in its box, a grill, canteen of cutlery, dinner service, towels, you name it. It turned out that virtually everything I took over had already been donated several times over.