1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storm Dennis

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florian gassmann, Feb 14, 2020.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Somewhat earlier than forecast, the skies have darkened here, the wind is building up and the rain has started.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Corvuscorax likes this.
  2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Same here. My little dog clearly knows that a few days of rain are due. She has just run around the garden about ten times.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The roads are closed a little way away from us. They haven’t really bothered to clear up the shingle from the sea front this week, because it’s going to get covered agsin this weekend.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I got organised and scrubbed the drive yesterday and today so that the forecadt deluge could wash all the dirt away. So far nothing. Calm and bright. Typical!

nomad likes this.
  5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We have a local weather station just down the road it has the following; wind speed 14.1 kts, max gust 28.7kts, rain 0.7mm and temp 9.3C (max 9.9 min 4.0).

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Last weekends storm went mainly to the north of us, this weekends seems due to go to the south, dry and calm so far.

7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Just cycled over to the garage to collect my car. Down the country lanes on a darkening Friday afternoon. It really brings out the Catholic in me. I hardly use the bike and never at night so haven't bothered getting fancy things like lights. On the final straight I turned directly into the wind. The weather can do what it wants now because I'm back home and settled in.

Lots of standing water in the fields and the brooks and ditches are already full so more rain will bring floods here on the roads. New front discs and pads on the car. No warning light because the brake wear wire had become detached while driving through floods late last year.

I do love these dark Friday afternoons. They make me think of the end of times and Eldorado.

colpee and monicabilongame like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Flying tomorrow so hopefully it'll all be done and dusted ...

Hahaha

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

All my boyfriend could do last weekend during the turmoil of Storm Ciara was stare sadly through the window.
    If the weather gets any worse with Storm Dennis this weekend, I suppose I might let him in.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

He might enjoy getting blown by Dennis on Valentines Day.

bevdex, caress, agathamorse and 6 others like this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D:D:D

caress and Jamvic like this.
  12. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

Can not cope if I have more house problems with the storms.

upload_2020-2-14_17-44-22.jpeg

Corvuscorax likes this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Driving down the M40 this afternoon, the gantry signs were telling us 'Severe weather forecast for tomorrow.' Not sure what the point of telling us that was!! Sometimes I feel the gantries can't shut up - they have to say something!

14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Probably as a warning not to drive if you don't have to.

border_walker and Corvuscorax like this.
  15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I'm driving to Wales tomorrow from Yorkshire. I think I'll set off early.

16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Ah, spring already.

Jamvic likes this.
  17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Keeps the scaredy people at home and helps everyone else's journey!

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

maybe you should set off now?

19. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

They’ve cost a fortune. They have to be used no matter how inane the message.

The one I hated most when working and driving in on the first day after the summer holidays was...

NEW SCHOOL YEAR STARTS TODAY

No s hit Sherlock! Do you think I’d be on the road at 6am if it didn’t. :mad:

agathamorse, Bedlam3 and chelsea2 like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Am hoping the fence Ciara blew down doesn't take off via Dennis.

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.