1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storm Ciara

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sally006, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

Very bad wind and rain here. Just hoping everyone else is ok out there. I’m staying in but hubby due to fly today. Not sure yet about his flight or potential disruption at Manchester. Stay safe everyone. Ironic or what: this term’s topic is “Extreme Earth” with my class!

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Manchester airport appears to be up and running. A little windy here in Lancashire...like normal.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Just seen a plastic dustbin hurtle through the air and land on someone's parked car. No visible damage, luckily.

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

We live opposite some very large trees I always worry part of one will end up through my roof during violent storms.

5. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

Our bike shed's door has been blown off and one fence panel has come down. I haven't been outside yet to check if the bikes are still there!

6. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

All in all, the forecast rather over stated this. Seems little more than a typical blustery February.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

My thoughts too. Winter gets windy and wet, but there seems to be a need to over-dramatise every strong wind and high wave. Hopefully it will keep up for a decent walk:)

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A few wheelie bins blown over but otherwise OK here - just ventured out to the laundrette - it's windy but not stormy

agathamorse likes this.
  9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Very blustery and windy here - not the sort of day to set off for a Sunday morning stroll - but doesn't seem to be quite as bad as forecast suggested. Can't see any signs of branches down or other damage from my windows. Stay safe, everyone.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Bit windy... that's it here.

Windy...

agathamorse likes this.
  11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think there has been a tendency for forecasters to exaggerate poor weather ever since the great storm of 1987, which was not accurately predicted by the Met Office (or Michael Fish!). Now, they over-compensate.

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Wild and wuthering here right now. I won’t be venturing too far today.

Alice K and agathamorse like this.
  13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

We’re on our way for a 100 mile trip to celebrate Grandma’s 95th birthday. Currently M40 is ok but expect M25 will be like a car park.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Ah Michael Fish - I love the confidence:D

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I hope the journey goes well. You never know, the M25 might well be free-flowing today given the adverse weather conditions.

agathamorse and emerald52 like this.
  16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

All hatches were battened down yesterday in preparation for the expected and received amber warning. Not an hair out of place on my land, everything packed away or set into the corners.

Not so for my neighbours. The numpty on the left went off to work this morning and, as usual, left the shared garden gate off the latch. Really I should just leave him to it, but so far, in only slippers and pyjamas, I've moved his three bins into shelter after they all fell over, he's inherited another plastic affair for composting which was bowling down the road from the garden of the numpty on the right. His garden gate is smashing wildly against the hedge, his bench is turned over, his bins don't look too good and things in his garden are basically all over the shop.

They are, like the storm, chaotic and too busy "having a good time". Once again, I do my bit and I do my neighbour's bit, but the option to not care and to leave it to all blow about is having it all over my property.

agathamorse, emerald52 and Kandahar like this.
  17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just read on the news about how this trampoline blown onto the track is disrupting rail services
    [​IMG]

This is between Sevenoaks and London so as usual I expect they wont be jumping to remove it any time soon.

colpee likes this.
  18. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Wet and windy here similar to previous weeks. We had a beautiful day yesterday until 3ish when the rain came.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Is that an example of the wrong sort of trampoline.

bevdex, yasf, knitone and 8 others like this.
  20. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Thanks @smoothnewt the M25 was fine. Just seen a tree down on the A1. Windy but little rain so far.

smoothnewt and agathamorse like this.