1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storing Photographs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by henriette, Apr 15, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

I've been using Adobe PhotoShop for my pictures since 2007, but they have now withdrawn it, so I am looking for a new way to store my photographs on my hard drive.
    What do you all use?
    As they are personal, I don't really want to upload them to an on-line site like Flikr, and Picasa has driven me mad by insisting on staring every single image on my computer as a photograph!
    Suggestions, please?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I've been using Adobe PhotoShop for my pictures since 2007, but they have now withdrawn it, so I am looking for a new way to store my photographs on my hard drive.
    What do you all use?
    As they are personal, I don't really want to upload them to an on-line site like Flikr, and Picasa has driven me mad by insisting on staring every single image on my computer as a photograph!
    Suggestions, please?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

You don't need any program to store photographs

4. At the moment I am just shoving them into files in My Pictures and thinking about doing something more useable!

I shall read other suggestions and ponder some more!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

You're right, I don't, but I have become used to having them categorised and tagged so that I pick any combination of pictures that I want to view: eg, the children on a variety of summer holidays, rather than having to look at all the holiday pix!
    I'm not talking a bout a vast number of pictures - about 11,00 - but I reckon I'll never look at them if they are all just shoved in My Pictures!

6. harsh-but-fair

... and just because Photo Shop has been 'withdrawn' is surely doesn't mean you can't carry on using it, does it?

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

Unfortunately, I have 10 more log-ins left according to the message I get when accessing it!

8. harsh-but-fair

So presumably you don't own the software?

Anyway, Picasa has been fine for me (so long as you avoid the face recognition 'feature'), but there are loads of free photo database software packages out there if you do a search

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

Yes, I did buy it all those years ago - it has now started counting down to what looks like a cut-off!

10. How about photobucket or flickr?

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There's probably some free open source photo organisers on http://sourceforge.net
    If you want a free package that does similar processing/enhancing tricks to Photoshop, try GIMP, also available at the site above.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You can store them in My Pictures in albums then alter your desktop and screensaver settings to show them. I have my PC in the living room and love to see all my pictures shown randomly like this.