1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storing lego - home

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pole_star, Aug 16, 2011.

1. I have recently sorted all the lego my children possess - and that is a significant amount - into tubs of different colours in plastic drawer units as well as separate tubs for wheels, windows/doors and figures, and also a tub for bits that don't seem to fit into any box such as mini treasure chests, things that I am informed are antennae, elastic band things, boats and so on. This has been a hit with the children and the play value they get out of the lego and the increasingly sophisticated models they make has been brilliant.
    However I still have the problem of what to do with the sets that are in favour, at the moment number 2 son has several pirates of the caribbean models in a box, also a box with spongebob models in various states of construction, a semi derelict city police station and so on. I do keep all the instructions safely together, and in any case you can get them on the lego website.
    So would be interested to know how other parents/children approach lego storage, up until recently we had ours in a couple of big crates, my husband suggested sorting it by shape, crazy idea!

2. I have recently sorted all the lego my children possess - and that is a significant amount - into tubs of different colours in plastic drawer units as well as separate tubs for wheels, windows/doors and figures, and also a tub for bits that don't seem to fit into any box such as mini treasure chests, things that I am informed are antennae, elastic band things, boats and so on. This has been a hit with the children and the play value they get out of the lego and the increasingly sophisticated models they make has been brilliant.
    However I still have the problem of what to do with the sets that are in favour, at the moment number 2 son has several pirates of the caribbean models in a box, also a box with spongebob models in various states of construction, a semi derelict city police station and so on. I do keep all the instructions safely together, and in any case you can get them on the lego website.
    So would be interested to know how other parents/children approach lego storage, up until recently we had ours in a couple of big crates, my husband suggested sorting it by shape, crazy idea!

3. I used to store lego in the vacuum cleaner.

4. or under the feet??? [​IMG]

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Has it been set on fire yet? If not, your children are well adjusted and you have no need to worry about creating a filing system for lego.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I see the cuts are biting in Legoland too ...

7. I spent hours sorting my kids' lego out. I don't bother now. It goes in the box if they pick it up. Otherwise, Henry the hoover eats it, or the dog chews it and it goes in the bin.

8. Oh Pole Star - I hate to be the one to tell you this, it's a complete waste of time!! In a blink of an eye it will be all muddled up again, as the real pleasure of lego (so my boys tell me) is to create new and interesting models and that always involves throwing it all over the floor and pouring through it. I once did the same as you, with the same results, but it didn't last long. As for the models, the ones they really liked they kept intact for a long time and the rest gradually got adapted or broken up. One thing I did do though, was keep all the instructions safe and then they could take on the challenge of rebuilding the models any time they wanted to. I did buy a lego bag once which really helped - this is a large drawstring circle of denim, they could pour the lego out onto this and sort and play, but when it was tidy up time - you pull the string and ...all tidy Brill!

Lego is absolutely brilliant - but you have to be prepared to allow for mess in any creative process!

9. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I've pretty much given up! Spongebob is mixed with Star Wars and City sets. The only ones I've successfully kept apart (so far!) are Harry Potter and Prince of Persia, but each of those are several sets combined.
    Meanwhile the knights are in with other non-Lego knights and the Pirates are mixed with the Playmobil pirates.
    Bring back the old days when a Lego set was just a great mixture of stuff that you could use any which way you liked.
    Now, has anyone seen the 3rd skeleton's missing leg or either of Squidward's hands?

10. Did you not keep the original boxes? My kids had to replace them in the box they came in (which, if a work in progress would be on tray) before I tidied up/cleaned or I just lobbed the lot into the big Lego crate.

11. My Dad was a bit obsessive about how we stored our lego so as kids my brother and I had several dets of drawers and all the lego was separated into sizes and woe betide if any went back in the wrong drawer. We never had to worry about the problem of 'sets' though as all of ours was just random blocks with some lego technik stuff thrown in (in a separate drawer of course). To us it made sense but then we did grow up with a Dad who in his desk draw had to have 2 red, 2 blue and 2 black biros - these were lined up with the edge of the drawer and one set had lids pointing towards the front of the drawer and the other set had lids pointing towards the back of the drawer.
    Strangely enough my own house is a complete shambles but then when you grow up in a 'lego sorted by brick size' house I'm sure you have to either rebel or go crazy. I have a strange love of filing systems but never actually use them.