1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

STORIES

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by inky, Mar 19, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

existence[​IMG]

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Telling a story without a book is much better for keeping children's attention. I always told traditional tales this way to new starters when I was in Nursery as you can look directly at them with no distraction and engage them with your eye contact and facial expressions, drawing them in.

I also prefer to do this when it's my turn to take assembly. I can walk around the Hall and look at all the children while I amke it up as I go along, if possible I'll include a few 'good listeners' to help me as well. I think it makes them feel involved with the process.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

InkyP, it's weird how we have such similar usernames and so often see eye to eye.[​IMG]
    We obviously have good taste!

XXX

4. I'd love to go on a course to learn how to be a better storyteller - won't happen as I couldn't justify the expense to school. I need to use visual aids and props when telling stories to my children and keep the language to a minimum. I could always start saving though...

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Have a look at the Pie Corbett materials there are freevideo clips on line

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I wish I'd known [or remembered] that before I posted! [​IMG]

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry.

8. Nothing to be sorry about, inky! I'd still love to be a better storyteller but I think it's just one of those things that I will always struggle with (like music!). And I do agree that there can be an over-reliance on the visual aspects of storytelling with props and pictures to the detriment of listening and enjoying.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

I still think you should get yourself on a course. Schmooz your boss a bit.
    X