1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Stories with historical settings - Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by versitygirl, Aug 2, 2007.

1. I am just wondering if anybody has planned this unit yet? I only teach mornings with these children and they go to different classes in the afternoon so there isn't one topic they are all following, so I will need to choose a historical setting that they are either likely to have studied before, or is quite easy for them to imagine. I am considering WW2 but open to options at the minute. My main problem is the first part of the teaching sequence, because I cannot find any short stories! I know there are loads of class novels which will last throughout the unit, but I don't know what short stories to use - argh! So much for a relaxing holiday!

2. I am just wondering if anybody has planned this unit yet? I only teach mornings with these children and they go to different classes in the afternoon so there isn't one topic they are all following, so I will need to choose a historical setting that they are either likely to have studied before, or is quite easy for them to imagine. I am considering WW2 but open to options at the minute. My main problem is the first part of the teaching sequence, because I cannot find any short stories! I know there are loads of class novels which will last throughout the unit, but I don't know what short stories to use - argh! So much for a relaxing holiday!

3. Time Flies is a short Tudor story, but can't remember the author.

4. We use Street Child by Berlie Doherty -she came to visit us with her author hat on last term! ! Very nice lady and the book is very good -children thoroughly enjoyed it!

5. I've decided to do one story and study the chapters as we build up to writing a story in the third week. As I have struggled to source short stories. I have looked at the hamilton trust plans in detail and used some of the ideas from that. However I've mainly used Friend or Foe (Michael Morpurgo). You are welcome to look at my 3 week plan if you wish.

6. sleepycat

sleepycat New commenter

I've created you a list...http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/R2DOOCEH8EULAA/ref=cm_lm_pthnk_view/202-3869321-3542208?ie=UTF8&lm%5Fbb=

How sad am i?

7. moonshine79

moonshine79 New commenter

Hiya! Useful tips thank you--how many 'historical stories' should be covered do you think?

8. Your list is really useful, sleepycat. Thank you!

9. Well done sleepycat, the list is really useful. I am just in the early stages of planning this unit and I think I am approaching it by reading extracts from lots of different historical periods first and then focusing in on Tudors once they've done a bit in history.

10. Forgot to mention - have done this unit in old framework with Freddie and the War (cant remember the author) - short chapters and the kids really enjoyed it.

11. sleepycat

sleepycat New commenter

I am addicted to making lists on Amazon!! Sadly, I enjoy it.

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with; I know my books!!

12. I really like your idea Jan1973 of focussing on the chapters on a novel instead of short stories - my school prefers us to focus on one book in depth rather than lots...would you be able to email me your 3 week plan for some ideas o Friend or Foe please? Thank you!

katielouise.long@gmail.com

13. moonshine79

moonshine79 New commenter

14. I am moving into Year 4 from Year 6 and trying to get my head round this planning if anyone is willing to let me look at their planning for this please email it!
    chinapanda16@yahoo.co.uk

15. Hi Jan 1973. Any chance you could send me your 3 week plan as well? Thanks....hopefully.

lind2i@hotmail.com

16. Hi Jan,

Bit of a long shot I reckon! I wondered whether it would be possible that you still have that planning?? Looking at planning a unit on this myself... struggling!

Hoping hoping!

Thanks x

17. oops... email is daddiesglassescase@hotmail.com x

18. Hi, I was searching for activities for lit and I found this article on the internet. I'm teaching Year4 and I have also planned to used Friend or Foe for Literacy. The main problem is that the book come yet which is a bit stressful. Anyway I was wondering (although i do realise that the article is 2 year too late), is there any chance you might still have the plan. If so would it be possible for to email it to me?
    I lookforward tohearing from you
    Kind Regards
    Roohi

19. Has nobody noticed? This thread was started in 2007!