1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories with historical settings - Romans

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shaz_47, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Hi all, please help.
    Im teaching stories with historical settings in the new term to a year 3/4 class. Our topic is the romans, does anyone have any suggestions for short stories about the romans that I could base the literacy unit on. Im really struggling to find something.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Hi all, please help.
    Im teaching stories with historical settings in the new term to a year 3/4 class. Our topic is the romans, does anyone have any suggestions for short stories about the romans that I could base the literacy unit on. Im really struggling to find something.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. Hi
    I'm just about to start this unit and we are also studying the Romans - would you mind sharing your plan? I'd be really grateful for a starting point!
    Thank you

5. hobgoblintc

hobgoblintc New commenter

Hi guys
    We have a great Romans play called "The Wall" that deals with all sorts of aspects of Roman life in a fun and informative way. We come and perform in your school hall - it's a brilliant way to introduce the topic.
    Have a look at our website and see if it takes your fancy... www.hobgoblintheatrecompany.co.uk
    Thanks
    Dan
    Hobgoblin Theatre Company

6. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

There is the Roman Mysteries DVD - I've bought the book and the stories may be a little challenging for Y3/4 but the DVDs are excellent. We've based our work on the DVDs - they are clear and quite a simple story and give the children a real insight into Roman life. We are now are going to make posters and adverts to link to our next topic of persuasion.

7. Hi, I am about to start this topic too! How did you get on? What texts did you use? Any suggestions would be gratefully received. carla_75@btinternet.com Thanks in advance

8. Hi there. I'm about to teach the same topic to Year 4. I've just started in a new school and they have no planning!!! Any help of what you did would be greatly received. I'm happy to send any other planning I have your way that you would find useful. I've taught Year 4 several times but always with the Tudors and never the Romans! I've ordered the DVD's but currently not sure where to start. Thanks

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Welcome to TES, david .

10. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I've searched for several years for a suitable text for Year 3. To be honest, the Roman Mysteries are a bit too complex for Year 3. We've tended to base our literacy work around the Roman Myths (Orchard) , mainly the story of Romulus and Remus, and a book by Christina Blint called "Escape from Pompeii". There's not really a lot out there.

11. camis

camis New commenter

I used 'The Time Travelling Cat and the Roman Eagle' by Julia Jarman with year 4.