1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories with Historical Setting - Tudors

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misspretty, Dec 11, 2011.

1. As the title suggests I'm planning to do this text type in new year but am struggling to find a text that links to Tudors AND is any good for a very mixed ability Y4. Having just finished 'The Time Travelling Cat and the Tudor Treasure' for Imaginary Settings and being disappointed with it; I could really do with a great text.
    Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. As the title suggests I'm planning to do this text type in new year but am struggling to find a text that links to Tudors AND is any good for a very mixed ability Y4. Having just finished 'The Time Travelling Cat and the Tudor Treasure' for Imaginary Settings and being disappointed with it; I could really do with a great text.
    Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Sing for your supper by Nick Warburton is great for Y4.
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

The Hagstone was set in Tudor times, I think. I did it with year 4.

5. travellersintime

travellersintime New commenter

Hi, I used a number of texts - read 'My Friend, Walter' [Morpurgo] which I found really wordy but the class lapped up, as a long text. But used Terry Deary 'the Cook, the prince and the Cunning King (something like that) for text exploration - great for listing 'clues' for different time period. The chn loved the horrible cook character and wrote fantastic character descriptions accompanied by superb line drawings. They enjoyed acting out scenes too - good for developing appreciation of adverbs. It was more successful than I had imagined. They read other Deary 'tudor tales' independently. We used a site visit to a Tudor merchant's house and some historical descriptions of town life in Elizabethan times to inform our knowledge of settings (and watched the Prince and the Pauper dvd to bring it to life), before embarking on own story writing. Eventually we finished the Morpurgo (after the unit!) and they really enjoyed comparing it to the dvd and discussing why the producer for the TV version had made changes. Incidentally, 'Walter Raleigh!' has become a phrase to express shock, surprise, horror, injustice...in our class since reading the book. Hope all of this is of some use to you! Alison

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We've just used Cue for Treason

7. Josh7

Josh7 New commenter

Read that as a boy, enjoyed it very much.

My Yr4 colleagues use Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper, particularly valuing its rich/poor comparisons.

8. I'm in a Y3/4 class and we read 'A pig called Henry' by Karen Wallace. The chn loved it.