1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories with flashbacks-year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wench82, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am new to year 6 next year and i am trying to get literacy sorted out. Does anyone know quality texts with flashbacks?
    Also any scary/mystery stories popular in year 6?
    Thanks!

2. Hi,
    I am new to year 6 next year and i am trying to get literacy sorted out. Does anyone know quality texts with flashbacks?
    Also any scary/mystery stories popular in year 6?
    Thanks!

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

pie corbett has a story called kidnapped. It has a flashback. My able year 5's loved it. It's probably downloadable from the net.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. Many thanks to you both!

6. minimeerkat

minimeerkat New commenter

Hi
    The Eye of the Wolf is a good book with flashbacks, we have just done it in year 6 and the kids loved it.

7. Thanks!

8. Hi I used the Harry Potter books they hVe tons of flashbacks- e.g. To Harry,s own past and his parents through memories and the use of the pensieve.

9. Hi- not sure if you're interested, but we used a video stimulus to help get this topic started. It's quite a well known one called 'The Piano' by Aiden Gibbons.

10. Thanks to all!

11. I've used The Piano as well and have got some amazing work out of it.

12. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I'd second this post. I tried using HP last year to great effect. Range of techniques used, e.g. diary entries, the pensieve - and possible to use a balance of written and moving image texts. People can be snobby about JK Rowling, but I was pleasantly surprised by the children's engagement (which I guess is the important bit!) M

13. My class hated the Piano two years running! We've scrapped it now, they got bored of watching the same video clip. Michael Morpurgo's Butterfly Lion has flashbacks. It's not that challenging for Year 6 though, but would be a good, 'one size fits all' choice for a mixed ability group.

14. Also, going back to horror/mystery, my Year 5 loved listening to the children's version of Dracula, originally by Bram Stoker.

15. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i taught the piano on supply to three different year 6 classes, they all loved it. so would very much recomend it, but make sure you get the original version with the original music. the upbeat version is terrible!
    you might want to turn the lights down, it totally got to me, for one!

16. Quite a few of the Disney Pixar films have flashbacks in if you want to use some visual prompts. Can only think of one off the top of my head which is - Toy story 3 where Fatso reminisces the day he was left behind by his owner. But i'm sure there are others.

17. Got amazing work out of Yr 6 last year with Room 13 and planning to do it again this year. Very scary.......
    Also Carrie's War is written in flashback, and we use as WW2 text alongside Goodnight Mr Tom.
    Hope either is useful
    Pm

18. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

How about using the clip from the Pixar film 'Up' when he remembers meeting his wife as a child. Very sad, but if you aren't as wimpy as me you might manage to watch it over and over - and it would be a great discussion point with the class. You could also use an emotions graph to track how he is feeling through different parts of their life together.

You might also like to look at the Y6 plans on www.emmarogers.org.uk - there are units planned around the teaching sequence and suggested texts/films. Plans are on the Literacy units tab, and suggested texts on the Engaging texts page.

I'd also fully recommend Invention of Hugo Cabret - lots of memories about his dad as well as a cracking mystery story.

Hope that helps!