1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories with a dilemma.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by slippeddisc, Mar 25, 2009.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I know there have been lots of threads about stories with a dilemma for year 4 and I've had a look through them. I was hoping someone had a suggestion for an easier text for this unit because my class couldn't cope with the suggestions other people have made. I need something a bit simpler!
    Thanks.

2. slippeddisc

I know there have been lots of threads about stories with a dilemma for year 4 and I've had a look through them. I was hoping someone had a suggestion for an easier text for this unit because my class couldn't cope with the suggestions other people have made. I need something a bit simpler!
    Thanks.

3. The Tunnel - By Anthony Browne rocks. I absolutely LOOOOOVE this book. So much visual literacy that assists EAL and SEN learners, plus all the hidden details for the more ables. Another bonus - its short! (although we do a 3 week unit on just that book!). Try it. [​IMG]

4. That book was reviewed in Scholastic's Junior Ed magazine last month will be on their website somewhere.
    I used 'Secret Friends' by Elizabeth Laird. Very touching book, well written but simple to read.

5. slippeddisc

Thanks very much to you both. x

6. Although this is an old thread, this might be useful for someone!
    I used a film animation for this topic: http://whiteboard.bristol-cyps.org.uk/vis_lit3/Animated%20Films/Bert/Bert.mpeg
    The animation is about a little creature called Bert who is picked from the ground and is different from the others. It explores the issues of being 'different.' The children loved it despite watching it lots of times! Good link to playground issues too! Children enjoyed writing letters to an agony aunt asking for some advice and receiving replies!
    For some lesson ideas and supporting documents go here: http://whiteboard.bristol-cyps.org.uk/vis_lit3/Animated%20Films/Bert/
    Message me if you want some ideas of things I planned from this.

7. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

Last year I used 'Finding Fizz' which my class loved. The text was easy enough to understand but still mature enough to be appropriate to the age of the children.

8. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

In the resource bank there are some great ideas using One Man Band (the Pixar short film) which was great, even my statemented child could identify with the dilemma of who to give the coin to. The same planning also includes the Balaclava Boy story and has a good simplified version.

9. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

10. I loved this unit.... A good story with dilemmas and morals was cliff hanger by Jacqueline Wilson! I loved it and chn loved it x