1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories which raise Issues/Dilemmas - Help please!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Amelie_Poulain, Mar 28, 2008.

1. I'm not sure how appropriate this would be for Year 4 but I am currently teaching 'The Terrible Fate of Humpty Dumpty' to my Year 7s which has a lot of 'discussion' points in it.

2. I am about to start this with my Year 4's. I am using Hamilton Trust planning and have done so this year. The kids have really enjoyed the activities and I am anticipating good results for this unit of work.

3. I 2nd Hamilton Trust- couple of options for this unit on there. Had some great resulta with Hamilton this year, especially WW2/Historical settings unit

4. Not sure how similar this unit is to the old strategy unit - I based it on the Balaclava Boys story and got children to write their own story where they really badly wanted something and then had to decide whether to do something bad to get it...

giggle. x

5. I'm also doing that unit after Easter hols (first NQT term, eeeek). We're doing 'Journey to Jo'burg' by Beverley Naidoo, set in Apartheid South Africa. That's just the first week so far though. Lots of discussion set from rules, and why we have them, why some are not good etc.

6. The Diddakoi by Rumer Godden. Quite an old story, but interesting and relevant particularly for children in rural or not culturally diverse areas. Vrey useful for discussing prejudice and bullying.

7. I am planning the same unit as we speak. We have natural disasters as a topic next term so was going to link it with that...so issues will be along the environmental line. May also show them some old comics that have the odd supervillan creating earthquakes and volcanoes and then get them to make their own comic - Log into Toondo - good site to make their comic strip.

8. Did this last year for final TP. Used Anne Fine book, but I can't remember what it was called!! All about a boy who became a girl overnight and how differently he viewed the day. Very good!

9. Did a similar scheme with Pied Piper of Hamelyn. Pupils had to discuss who they sided with - The Piper or the Mayor who didn't pay. Pupils came up with some very good responses. Great chance for role playing etc. Good Luck.

10. Sorry, found this a few days ago and posted a message on a different thread so here it is again:

I did issues and dilemmas last year during my PGCE. Having just googled 'issues and dilemmas' I've found the guidance there used to be on it: http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/teachingresource... As part of it they suggested the use of a book called 'The Fib and other stories' by George Layton. The stories are all quite old fashioned but are very short and the kids can relate to them. Anyway, its pretty easy once you get going! I do suggest you buy the book though, it really came in useful!

Liz

11. Anne Fine's book is called Bill's New Frock, I think.

12. Thats the one thanks!! I've been racking my brain trying to think of it. Thats not good for me when I am still on holiday!!

13. Hey, I'm doing the same but am using The Suitcase Kid by Jacqueline Wilson. It came with a work book too. The work book is based on the old framework but I'm managing to link it with the new framework quite easily. Good luck!