1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stories which raise issues and dilemmas yr 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kath25, Jul 5, 2008.

1. pink_hippoes

pink_hippoes New commenter

Hiya, I hope you don't mind me contacting you but I would absolutely love to get a copy of your robots planing for stories which raise issues and dilemmas. Is this at all possible? Thanking you in advance, a desperate nqt :)

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I used Bill's New Frock by Anne Fine once - a short and easy read they chuckled their way through - and decided that the most heinous sin wasn't hitting girls (!) but picking on little ones!

3. I know this is very cheeky but would it be possible to get a copy of your planning for Bill's New Frock?? I've always done Journey to Jo'burg but I'd really like to have a change and we have a full set of this book in school : ) Thanks

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I would gladly - except it was before I had my kids, and sold that computer to my mum, deciding that I would never need to look at all that again as I had Moved On! Next time I go to my mum's I'll look it up, tho' - but I warn you, it's oooooold!

5. We use "Cloudbusting" which is a lovely, lyrical book about bullying. It is told in various forms of poetry and leads really nicely into our poetry unit that follows on when we have completed this unit of work.

6. Hi,
    Did you manage to get a copy of the robots plan? If you did is there any chance you can forward it on to me please. cbeesley@live.co.uk Many thanks

7. Hi-the Robots planning sounds fab as I am trying to use more visual literacy with my class. Could I be cheeky and also have a copy??
    ashtonjoanne@hotmail.com

8. Hi as everyone is being cheeky I thought I would too. I am on the last leg of the GTP and have been told to use journey to joburg for the dilemmas unit. Would you be able to forward ideas/planning. thanks
    hamiltonk3@sky.com

9. Try the lesson 'Dizzy Dilemmas' from the Go-Givers website - the children could write their own stories based on the dilemmas given...
    www.gogivers.org

10. Hi, I know this was posted a few years ago but could I have a copy of the planning for the Robots idea, I want to include more film and visual literacy.
    ae.smalec@tiscali.co.uk
    Thanks

11. Hi, seems a bit cheeky but any chance of the planning for the Robots for the unit that raise issues. Thanks in advance.

stephbeechey2@hotmail.co.uk

12. Brommie

Brommie New commenter

Hi, I've got a lesson obs coming up and we're doing this unit, would love to use a DVD clip. It would be great if you still have the planning.
    Thanks,
    Lin
    ebromfield@hotmail.com

13. We used Michael Morpurgo's Friend or Foe as part of our y4 topic on WW2.

14. kerrytd

kerrytd New commenter

If you are after a dvd clip to use for dilemmas try this one. Short film called Dangle from BFI. No speech, lots of possibilities and because it is a short film you can watch the whole thing without it taking the whole lesson if you have an observation! You could even set your classroom up with a rope hanging from the ceiling to create interest from the start - the purpose for this will become clear after watcing the clip!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzRD59r2j2A

15. Anthony Browne is a great author for this unit - many of his texts can be used here. Gorilla is particularly good for this theme.
    Enjoy!

16. zannar

zannar New commenter

I have just used 'Jessica's Secret' by Malorie Blackman (I think). It deals with issues of bullying and the dilema of becoming a bully and joining the gang or doing what is right. Other characters faced the dilemma and the possible reason for the bully becoming one in the first place was also touched on.
    It came from a book, recommended to me by someone on the forum, which has short stories covering genres from the framework. Sorry it's at school so can't tell you the title now.
    I used the literacy lesson to discuss the issue in PSHE and the children produced anti-bullying posters in ICT lessons.
    Very useful book

17. zozo1

zozo1 New commenter

I used the Meteroite Spoon by Philip Ridley - a book about two children whose parents (Mr and Mrs Thunder) argue constantly, my children loved it! I also used the short film dangle which was great and looked briefly at The Balaclava Boys.