1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stories to read aloud to year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilaclady, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Lilaclady

Lilaclady New commenter

Have had a look through the forums but just wondered if there are any other excellent books I should be buying for reading aloud to my year 4 class this year. We are lucky as have story time every day so managed to get through quite a few books last year and am taking time now to stock up! This is purely for enjoyment so any theme is welcome! Thanks for your ideas.

2. Lilaclady

Lilaclady New commenter

Have had a look through the forums but just wondered if there are any other excellent books I should be buying for reading aloud to my year 4 class this year. We are lucky as have story time every day so managed to get through quite a few books last year and am taking time now to stock up! This is purely for enjoyment so any theme is welcome! Thanks for your ideas.

3. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

What about Roald Dahl stuff? I adored that when I was at school.

4. lumleylass

lumleylass New commenter

I'm in Y4 this year and I'm going to read some stories by Michael Morpurgo.

I've also bought some of the Roman mysteries by Caroline Lawrence to read aloud (links with literacy and topic work).

5. impis

impis New commenter

I love 'Little wolf's book of dastardly deeds'.

Its written in the form of letters home, while Little wolf travels and tries to become a bad wolf. [but fails miserably]

I first came across this book on supply, when i was asked to read the end bit of the book. It is so funny that I could hardly read it out loud - and the kids absolutely adored it. [Y4]

There are sequels now, but none compare with that first book.

6. In the past I have read

The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo
    Horrid Henry
    The Hodgeheg by Dick King Smith
    The Fireworkmaker's daughter by Phillip Pullman
    The Diary of a Killer Cat, The Chicken gave it to me, Bill's New Frock by Anne Fine
    Beaver Towers by Nigel Hinton

7. I'm gonna start with some shorter stories, maybe Roald Dahl and Dick King Smith, but im definatly reading the first Northern Lights book before Christmas, then i might take them to the pictures to see the film as a Christmas treat.xx

8. Lilaclady

Lilaclady New commenter

Thanks for all your replies - am going to start drawing up my list now.

9. Have just started reading 'Cool' by Michael Morpurgo to my class - they love it!

10. MissBoom

MissBoom New commenter

In the middle of Mr Stink by David Walliams....wicked! [​IMG]

11. Why dig up a 5 year old thread for such a simple topic?