1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stories that raise issues/dilemmas yr4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smartypants, May 27, 2009.

1. Hi, im about to start planning this unit and im at a loss what to do for the 4 weeks. Thinking about using texts such as Bill's new frock, The angel of Nitshill road and The Fib but not sure how to go about planning the unit.
    Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Hi, im about to start planning this unit and im at a loss what to do for the 4 weeks. Thinking about using texts such as Bill's new frock, The angel of Nitshill road and The Fib but not sure how to go about planning the unit.
    Thanks for any help in advance!

3. There have been lots of posts on this subject so if you just put it into the search box you will have loads to choose from. I'm actually doing it using Sam's Duck (Michael Morpurgo), How to live forever (Collin Thompson) and Danny Champion of the World (Roald Dahl). Hope it goes well for you.

4. Hi, I've used angel of nitshilll road before and it worked really well, we did lots of drama - conscience corridors with Bill walking down the middle and some of the other characters getting the childrne to try and encourage them to make the correct choice.

5. Worry Guts is good - Pelican Big Books.

6. I've used The Fib (specifically The Balaclava Boys one) several times - am now very bored of it! But it is good. I start reading the opening paragraph and get the children to guess what the story is about. Then we read to where he spots the balaclava on the floor and has the dilemma of whether to pick it up. At this point I do lots of drama and then the children write their own endings to the story (including some drama monologues before writing). And eventually I let them read the rest! :)
    This year I've also used Tracy Beaker and Underground to Canada (story of slavery in America) to break it up a bit, as well as bullying and homelessness videos on youtube.
    giggle. xx

7. In the past I have used Bill's New Frock and The Fib. This year I was asked, following a course, to use a book called 'How to Live Forever.' The work that the children produced was fantastic. They really enjoyed the story and the pictures. We made it very cross-curricular. I would recommend trying it.

I can let you see my planning if you wish. Any chance anybody has planned the stories from other cultures, I would be willing to exachange planning. My mind is blank!
    Sarah xx

8. rbwn

rbwn New commenter

Any change I could get a look at your planning for stories that raise issues - I'm at a total loss about what to do - cheers!

dark_pixie@hotmail.com

9. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

I am currently planning the stories from other cultures using Mufaro's beautiful daughters and Akimbo and the elephants - I would be willing to swap planning when I have finished it - probably not til next week some time.

10. I don't tend to react like this, but I have to ask - did you just read that someone offered to exchange planning (for planning on another topic) and decide you were going to ask for it too?!
    If you are at a "total loss", try reading the other posts which include several texts ideas, and in one a complete list of activities.