1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stories that raise issues and dilemas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mancminx, Feb 19, 2016.

1. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

My topic next half term is 'chocolate. Im thinking of using Charlie and the chocolate factory as a basis for our English lessons. I think its a story that raises issues and dilemas, such as poverty, inheritence... am I right in thinking this
    Just needina a bit of reasurance
    Thanks
    PS
    Ive just done something to the keyboard and made the text very small, I dont know how to fix that!
    so I hiope its not small for you to read...

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Looks absolutely normal on my screen.
    Try ctrl+.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why do you want to raise issues and dilemmas?
    Can you not just enjoy the story and use it as a stimulus for writing?

whitestag likes this.
  4. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Absolutely agree. Those themes are very tenuous in this particular book anyway. I've read this book with my class and it's a wonderful book, it inspires laughter and wonder in children - trying to draw out forced themes that are from an adult perspective will only spoil the enjoyment of it!

5. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Reading a book on children reacting to illustrations in story books, it was obvious that they made their own interpretations of these and many were quite deep and focused on 'issues and dilemmas' without any adult intervention. Why not just encourage children to discuss the story amongst themselves?