1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories from other cultures- Yr 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skills1985, Dec 31, 2008.

1. I was wondering if somebody could clear something up for me. I am trying to plan the unit stories from other cultures for my year 4 class, but I'm confused about what the final outcome of the unit should be.

I have had a look on the framework website but it doesn't give much guidence. Are the children supposed to have written their own story from another culture by the end? Or are they just meant to have come up with interview questions for a character in one of the stories and then possibly finish with a character review?

I'm an NQT and when I've planned the last two narrative units it has always finished with the children writing their own versions, so now I'm completly lost...

2. I was wondering if somebody could clear something up for me. I am trying to plan the unit stories from other cultures for my year 4 class, but I'm confused about what the final outcome of the unit should be.

I have had a look on the framework website but it doesn't give much guidence. Are the children supposed to have written their own story from another culture by the end? Or are they just meant to have come up with interview questions for a character in one of the stories and then possibly finish with a character review?

I'm an NQT and when I've planned the last two narrative units it has always finished with the children writing their own versions, so now I'm completly lost...

3. I used Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters which is an adaption of Cinderella set in Africa. We followed all of the suggestions from the primary framework but their final task was to rewrite a part of the story from another characters point of view. My class really enjoyed this. I also linked ICT into the unit where they had to act out their scene from their own rewritten version and take photographs. These images where inserted into textease, typed their story and then textease read the story back to them etc. Used this for our class assembly and everyone was very impressed! Alternatively, they could act it out and record on digi-blue camera and write out their version of the story as a play script too? Also, we wrote out wedding invitations (read the story and it makes sense).

This is a fantastic story to use. We adapted the planning from an old unit written to encourage boys to be better writers. When I get home, I hunt on my laptop for any resources that I have kept. Think I have a link to an on-line reading of the story which I found via another tessa... I'll upload them onto resources and then put a link on here.

4. Thank you for the replies, I don't suppose either of you have any planning you would be willing to share?

Strand 8 of the new framework states that we should include face to face and online contact with an author within this unit. Did you find this possible? I don't really know where to start with organising that one!

5. Here is the website link for Mufaros beautiful daughters. You have to scroll down to find quality texts and you will find planning suggestions for the book. My teaching partner has the electrical copy of the planning which she hasn't kept and I don't have a paper copy but hope this helps.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/teachingresources/?subject=S_900355&yeargroup=4

Also, here is a link for an on-line reading of the story. You will need to install real player I think. Again, scroll down until you find Mufaros Beautiful Daughters.

http://www.prairiepublic.org/education/pstv/guide/scholasticdv.htm

Hope it helps

6. Unit 3 Year 4 I am fed up with this unit. have linked it to India and have lovely stories etc. but I am very unclear what this units outcome needs to be...

Devoid of inspiration....