1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories from other cultures - year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Leasa, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

Hi,

I am currently trying to plan this unit of work and am some what struggling as ive not taught this unit before. I really wanted to use aboriginal stories so i could do some aboriginal art but also want to use Mafaro's beautiful daughters and Journey to Jo'burg. Would it be better to look at the aboroginal stories first and then focus on the other 2 texts or should i just focus on the two african texts?

Also what sort of activities could be done? Am thinking hot-seating, drama and freeze framing but am sure about the writing content. Do they need to write their own story or just retell a known story. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

2. peepo

peepo New commenter

The standards site has a 'quality text' unit on Mufaro's daughter, in old strategy lit resources -might help you with ideas.

Link should take you straight to page http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/teachingresources/?subject=S_900355&yeargroup=4&term=

if not

Look in resources-lit ( just lit,not lit in new framework) type in year group in menu on left and scroll down to quality text units- lots of others there-some are more detailed planning units.

New framework guidance recommends that we still use these units/resources.- They have old objectives listd but you can edit them.

hope it helps