1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories from other cultures year 4 India

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blue3, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Has anyone got any planning that they would not mind sharing for this unit? I would be very grateful! Have a looked for ideas but there seems to mainly units based on Africa and Australia. Since i am covering the topic India for Geography it would make sense to do the same in Literacy. I am going to be in year 4 in sept and its new to me. I have previously taught year 1 for 3 years!! lol

2. Has anyone got any planning that they would not mind sharing for this unit? I would be very grateful! Have a looked for ideas but there seems to mainly units based on Africa and Australia. Since i am covering the topic India for Geography it would make sense to do the same in Literacy. I am going to be in year 4 in sept and its new to me. I have previously taught year 1 for 3 years!! lol

3. I have planning but it's at school, typically! It was my favourite unit of the whole year and we did lots of work based on short stories from a variety of different cultures.
    We did do Grandpa Chatterji by Jamila Gavin as our class reader and that would link nicely with your India topic. It's about two Indian children who live in England who are visited by their very traditional Grandpa - my children loved it. We did book reviews for Amazon, compared the two Grandpa's etc.
    As an extra we also did some drama on the Willow Pattern Story from China and made our own willow pattern (paper) plates but there were some great results.

Hope that's a bit helpful! I will try and get planning by the end of the week too.

4. Hi SamDumpling,
    Was your planning on the new framework? it sounds amazing!! if you dont mind emailing me it if u get hold of if that wud be fantastic!! :) if there is anything you need or i could help with let me know im new to year 4 but have taught year 1 for 3 years
    Thank you again, you are a Star!!

5. I'm doing this next year but I'm using a theme of Village Settlers/Other Cultures (haven't got as far as doing the name yet as it's going to be the summer term). So we will look at India, Australia and Aborigines, Africa using different areas of the curriculum - literacy, music, art, geography. I have used the Grandpa Chatterji stories. They are great and fit in well with India. I did use the Oxfam pack which was great with resources, pictures and ideas. This year I'm going to look at the one with Bangalore as well since it would be a good comparison between village and city life and then look at life in England. Grandpa Chatterji would be good with this as well.

6. Hi SamDumpling
    I have exactly the same problem as Blue i have also taught 1 and 3 and although taught this topic last year in year 4 i'm looking for an inspirational link to India. I'm thinking of doing an India day with dressing up and Indian food and recreating taj mahal in wicker with artists but if you have planning to link the india topic to geography i would be most grateful. If theres anything i can offer in return please let me know.
    Thank you

7. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

The Peacock Garden by Anita Desai -is a great book. Set in 1947 it is about the partition of India and Pakistan.

8. Hello.
    I know this is a really old post but if anyone has some plans for stories from different culture and India I would love some. They all sounds really good and am trying to plan something like this at the moment.
    Many Thanks everyone!

9. Hi Katie,
    If you have any planning on stories from different cultures and India, please may I have it. Would really appreciate it. Thanks

10. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Hi, don't have any planning for this but have you seen 'The Tiger Child' by Joanna Troughton? This story from another culture is set in India and the illustrations are out of this world.

11. Grandpa Chatterji is a good one but I also used Traditional Stories from India http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traditional-Stories-India-Saviour-Pirotta/dp/0750249498/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343762694&sr=1-1 - it has a selection of short stories which I then used for children to finish the ending, write alternative versions of etc. They really enjoyed it and seeing as they are all short you can easily work with them for several lessons rather than having to try to plough through a long text.

12. This might be a slightly off-topic post but a great way to learn about different cultures and make it relevant is to do quadblogging - it's a website that links you up to 3 other class blogs from other parts of the world. I did it last term with my class - I teach in Bangkok, and we were linked up to two schools in the UK and one from New Zealand. It's such a good way to communicate with classes from other parts of the world, and a lovely platform to show off good work to a wider audience. I'll definitely be doing it next year, my last class were so proud when we got over 1000 views in just one term!

13. I did an India topic this year with Year 3 and we used Rama and Sita as a basis for our literacy. I wrote a drama for writing unit and then the children wrote a fantastic myth based on the story.