1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories from other cultures - Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by looby21, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hi all,

does anyone know of any good books to use to teach the literacy narrative unit 2 - stories from other cultures? I am particularly looking for books about Africa, India and the Caribbean. If anyone knows of any good ideas/activities to go with them this would also be a great help. I am feeling a little uninspired!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thank you very much :)

2. Hi all,

does anyone know of any good books to use to teach the literacy narrative unit 2 - stories from other cultures? I am particularly looking for books about Africa, India and the Caribbean. If anyone knows of any good ideas/activities to go with them this would also be a great help. I am feeling a little uninspired!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thank you very much :)

3. inq

inq

We looked at Handa's surprise and Handa's Hen - Africa, The Blue Jackal - India, The Flying Turtle - Caibbean and The Little Dutch Boy, obviously European, The Stone Lion - China, we had these as big books at school so that is why we chose them. We've also got the Emperor and the Nightingale but thought it a bit difficult for our Y1's.

4. Thank you inq! You don't have any of your planning that you wouldn't mind sharing do you? Just to be a little cheeky?!

We haven't taught from the new literacy framework before, we've been using a phonics scheme. So I really don't know where to start! Or a few suggestions for activities please?

If you wouldn't mind sharing my email is looby21@gmail.com. Thank you again!!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. Thank you Marlin, that is very helpful! :)

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

You're welcome [​IMG]

8. Hi inq. I was wondering if there was any chance you could please email me some ideas of how you used the above stories, particularly The Blue Jackal, in the stories from other cultures unit or examples of your planning for it. I'm new to year 1 and still trying to get my head around the planning for the year group. Also could you recommend any other stories for India please? My email is Beccijwillliams84@aol.com Thanks.