1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories from other cultures- Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sara2323, Oct 21, 2010.

1. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I am planning my literacy topics for the next term and struggling to find suitable resources for the stories from other cultures topic. A friend has recommended Baboushka- a story about Christmas in Russia, I would like to use this story but have no idea how well it would fit in and cover all the objectives, I am an NQT and have never planned for this topic before.
    Has anyone used this story before or have any other story suggestions? ideally would like to use this book as it ties well with my celebrations topic.

2. I haven't come across this book before (you may end up making your own resources- which may be better even though it takes time.)
    I did a quick search and found this in the Resource section:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6010276
    We are using Handa's Suprise, Handa's Hen and the Leopards Drum and if you search for them there's a few bits and pieces. There's so many good books to use out there though it's hard to choose!! good luck!

3. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I'd forgotton about Handa's Surprise! I'll have look now, thanks for the link.

4. We used We're Going on a Lion Hunt to compare with We're Going on a Bear Hunt - there is some great planning for this in the resources section.

5. Can recommend the Leoaprd's Drum too.!