1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories from other cultures - India

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Padster, Apr 8, 2009.

1. There are some superb stories in Seasons of Splendour: Tales, Myths and Legends of India by Madhur Jaffrey. I have used this book for guided reading with Y4 during the India topic.

2. Hi
    I am doing the same unit in sept and linking it to india aswell. Just looking for texts at the moment are there any you found particularly good?

3. Be prepared that chn may know the story of Rama and Sita quite well - it can pop up all over the place - we do it as part of Festivals of Light, it's a Diwali focus etc. However a decent version would be fab with Y4. A few years ago I did Grandpa Chatterji with my Y4s and they loved it - there is somewhere also a video (hopefully now DVD) of it that is also quite good. If you can fit it in I would highly recommend it!!

katharina_f likes this.
  4. Hello. I used 'the story of the Hare and the Moon' a traditional story from India which can be found in Pie Corbett's KS2 Bumper Book. I taught the children how to tell the story, we wrote letters from the Hare to the other characters to explain what happened to her and then the children wrote their own stories about an animal which sacrifices itself. After completing this unit, I taught the playscripts unit. I taught the children how to tell the story 'The Papaya that spoke' again from the Bumper Book. In groups, the children then made up their own plays using Indian motifs e.g. 'The Banyan tree that spoke' which featured a hockey player instead of a farmer. Once the plays were performed, they wrote up sections of their plays. It was very successful. I read Grandpa Chatterji as our read aloud.

5. I know this is an old thread but as I really struggled thought I'd share what I found! I also was looking for texts to link my topic work on India with stories from other cultures.
    If you look on the Y5 section of Hamilton the stories from other cultures is based on Middle eastern and Indian stories rather that Australian stories. I'm going to swap the basis for these units round as I will be the Y5 teacher next year but there is nothing to stop you from negotiating with your collegues to do the same as the Indian stories lend themselves to Y4 if you are still following the guidelines from QCA for foundation subjects (which my school is, however creatively it is dressed up!)
    Hope this helps someone who was struggling as much as I was!

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Thanks for the tip! About to start this unit next and my year 5 colleague does the Rainforest for their link topic, so no worries for me.

7. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Hi - Joanna Troughton's version of 'The Tiger Child' is really good. It is a folk tale from India, is fairly short and has the added bonus of amazing illustrations.

8. I used novels and short stories by Anushka Ravishankar. Her books cover lots of topics about India and are at all levels. I used the covers as a stimulus for our Art work, a novel as an ongoing piece through the term, the short stories for immediate work etc. Also, you can get in touch with her directly through her publishers website, so we were able to email questions to her which she then responded to - this is also a Y4 objective I think (though it may be Y5 - I had to mash the two together!).

9. yogagirl

yogagirl New commenter

Thanks for the tip. Which stories by Anushka Ravishankar were suitable for year 4? I have googled her but the books that come up seem very key stage one. Which ones have been used for key stage 2?
    Many thanks,
    L

10. Hi i covered stories from other cultures based on india. I used the peacock garden by anita desai and the village by the sea. Then i got ch to write a diary entry from the perspective of an indian child from a village. It was really good lots of descriptive words and ch seemed to enjoy it lots!

11. Hi, just thought I'd share what I'm doing. Last year I used the books suggested from Hamilton Trust as I love the aboriginal stories and dreamtime. However, this year I've been asked to do Village from India and Village Settlers. I thought that I'd call the topic 'Village Life' and therefore explore village life in different countries. I was also going to make African masks and put them on the wobblers we are making in DT. Any suggestions for books to use for Dilemmas/Persuasive writing/explanation texts gratefully received (that would fit the topic title). Art is Investigating patterns so am okay with that.

12. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Hamilton trust have planning based on India in the mixed year 3/4 section.

13. We linked it to poetry - so used some of the younger books - am at home now but will check when in school title for novel used, but to be fair it's probably too late to help you now anyway! Sorry!

14. Hi mom2emnsam!
    I noticed in your post above that you mentioned contacting Anushka Ravishankar through her publisher's website - can you remember what the website is? I'm planning stories from other cultures at the moment and we are working on some Indian stories - if we could email her then that would cover that objective re contact with authors (it is a Y4 obj, you were right).

If you can remember and can let me know that would be much appreciated! Thanks :)