1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

STORIES FROM ANOTHER CULTURE

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kitten30, Oct 18, 2008.

1. HELP Anyone know any stories from another culture that i could use (apart from Handa's surrise!) and that I might find as a big book to use on IWB?

2. HELP Anyone know any stories from another culture that i could use (apart from Handa's surrise!) and that I might find as a big book to use on IWB?

3. http://lookybook.com

try this.

I like Paul Geraghty's The Hunter but it depends on your focus/aim for the text

4. Anansie the spider is a good one, a teaching assistant at work gave me a book called Stories from West Africa, it has some really good stories in it. There is also a book in the same series about stories from the Caribbean etc..other than that you could read
    Hot Hippo
    Too Much Talk
    Mimi and the carnival
    Amazing Grace
    all i can think of at the moment but there are loads!!!

5. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

If you go on cbeebies and click on stories they catergorise them and there are some lovely ones from other cultures. My reception class loved the kicking bird story. If you have espresso at school on the IWB if you gointo KS1 and music their is a lovely musical story of Anancy and the spider which mine love.

Also books like So much love, loads and loads of love, through the window, Handas hen, Jamillas cat are good and could be scanned to make a IWB story.

6. Are you also looking for them to have patterned/predictable language? If so 'Bringing the rain to Kapiti Plain' is very much along the lines of T'he house that Jack built' and another one I found was called'Emeka's Gift: An African Counting Story' and is by Ifeoma Onyefulu. I have also heard of 'The Carribbean Counting Book' which includes Carribbean dialect.

HTH x

7. I have used a text were going on a lion hunt (along the same lines as were going on a bear hunt, but set in Africa) the children loved it [​IMG]

8. The website www.storycove.com has some great stories from other cultures. You have to log on but it is free.