1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories for Rivers topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissTeach10, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    After being super organised this summer I have sorted the stories for the Autumn term and am now moving onto spring. Our topic will be Rivers and I would like ideas for my (extremely boy heavy) year five class. Absolutely any ideas would be appreciated. The class as a whole are below national expectations (2A average).
    Thank you all in advance!! :0)

2. Hi all,
    After being super organised this summer I have sorted the stories for the Autumn term and am now moving onto spring. Our topic will be Rivers and I would like ideas for my (extremely boy heavy) year five class. Absolutely any ideas would be appreciated. The class as a whole are below national expectations (2A average).
    Thank you all in advance!! :0)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In year 5 with my class, also boy heavy and slightly below expectations in literacy, I read The River of Adventure by Enid Blyton. They loved it. I had bought a boxed set from The Book People and lots of the children read some of the others in the series as well.

4. Thank you. It's on it's way to me as I write!

5. We use Robin Hood and and link our rivers topic to legends, at the end the children have to write a legend based on a river setting.

:)

6. You could try Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson - about life in the Amazon