1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories about rules for year 1 - help please!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KarrieGem, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I was thinking of reading a story to my children as a lead in to talking about out class rules - why we need rules etc. Does anyone know of any books that deal with rules that would be suitable?
    Thanks in advance,
    K x

2. Hi everyone,
    I was thinking of reading a story to my children as a lead in to talking about out class rules - why we need rules etc. Does anyone know of any books that deal with rules that would be suitable?
    Thanks in advance,
    K x

3. I would start by asking the class "What are rules?" A discussion will automatically follow and the children will do the work themselves. This will give you scope to add more questioning and get the TA to scribe as you open up the discussion - and you will find that the children will be able to dictate specific class rules back to you. I am an NQT going into year 1 but have had 7 years as a TA (THIS DOES WORK).
    Good luck - I'm as nervous as the next - a brand new school with a different way of doing things.

4. Try looking at The Gordon Star by Rebecca Patterson: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1842705725/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0862648939&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0MC9BA9CEHFZGPBXKRZ2
    It is a bvery cute story about a little boy who finds school work difficult but is kind, cheerful and always helpful. The teacher decides to award one child every week the 'Gordon Star' for siplaying these qualities! I am basing my rules and expectations around this story this year.
    Might be worth a look?

5. I meant very!

6. And here I meant displaying!...don't know what's wrong with me today!! Too much time at my laptop maybe?!

7. Thank you for that, it looks good. Not heard of this one before, not sure I'll have time to locate a copy now which is a shame.

K x

8. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

I wouldn't worry too much if you don't have a story about rules. Y1 children tend to like things kept simple and it's probably just as good if you do as other reply suggested and discuss rules, why we have them in school- to keep us all happy and safe- what they will be in your school/class and what will happen if they get broken.
    You can do all of this in a very firm but friendly way and ensure that any sanctions follow whole behaviour school policy and that you stick to them right from the first time a rule is broken as there will always be one child at least who breaks a rule on purpose just to see how you react and whether or not you mean business.
    Be firm but fair and good luck!

9. I'm an NQT too with a yr 1 class and this is great advice, thank you!