1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stories about luck

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jo123go, May 10, 2011.

1. Any ideas?

2. Have you got any of those assembly story books? They normally have stories about luck in them. Sorry for the vague reply!!

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Mark Twain write a story called "Luck" I think, about an army captain who was basically incompetent but managed to win several battles by pure luck.
    I know a great traditional tale envelope story about wisdom v luck, but it's all oral, I've never seen it written anywhere and takes about 40 minutes to tell so not much good to you. Maybe someone on here may know of a written version. It involves Wisdom making a pact with Luck to show who is the stronger of the two. They decide Wisdom will go first and so it enters this man. He becomes brilliant at whatever he does, he's a tailor, then a goldsmith then a medic in different towns making his name and fortune but each time, but due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time he has to move town and profession. Finally he falls in love with a great princess but in the night he gets dragged of to prison for something he didn't do. No one believes he knows the princess and he is about to be put to death in the town square when Wisdom admits defeat and hands over to Luck. Just at that moment the princess walks past the gallows (what luck) and saves him and they live happily ever after.