1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stories about growing plants...and growing things

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by red wine lover, Feb 16, 2010.

1. next halfterm im thinking of doing growing plants with our FSU children. Sadly i can only think of jaspers bean stalk, jack and the beanstalk and then moving on to hungry catterpiller. Can anyone please suggest other books (tried and tested if possible) that i could use?

Thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There is a nice book called Growing Vegetable Soup by Lois someboy

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

The Enormous Turnip never loses its appeal. You can use it in all sorts of ways and the story is so linear that it's good for sequencing etc.

Do you know the Volga Boatman tune? Yo-o heave ho, etc.
    I tell the story with the children in a circle and every time we get to a pulling bit we sing
    Yo- o heave ho
    Yo-o heave ho
    Pull what turnip
    WHOOPS!
    Over we go!

- at which point, they all fall over backwards. Works every time.
    You can:
    add instruments
    Choose people to be the various characters
    play a memory game
    and make soup afterwards!

4. The original Titch book is very good too. By Pat Hutchins.

5. Msz

I use the song from 3 singing pigs
    There's a great big turnip at the bottom of the field
    I'll get it!
    See my muscles
    So I pushed and I pulled and I coudn't get it out
    and I pushed and I pulled ad I gave a little shout
    Come here wife
    how's your muscles
    etc
    It's a good story for ordinal numbers

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Now now Msz, you shouldn't be teaching them bad English ;)

7. Msz

probably not ;-)

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

pull that turnip

9. Thank you so much for those suggestions. I'd fogotten all about the enourmous turnip and the Titch stories.
    Hopefully i can now get enthusiastic about my planning.......and not leave it until sunday night at 10.30pm!

10. Hi
    Frans flower is a great one for looking at conditions needed for growth and The tiny seed (Eric Carle) is great for looking at simple plant lifecycles. I will be using both this half term!
    edw x

11. I have not heard of Frans flowers-sounds very nice.
    Thanks for the suggestions

12. It is by Lisa Bruce and Rosalind Beardshaw. Lovely pictures and nice and bright!

13. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Frog-Belly-Rat-Bone/dp/0744580560

Frog Belly Rat Bone....it's a fab book with a lovely environmental theme ( a transition from a gloomy 'scrapyard' to a beautiful garden) and really interesting illustrations.

14. ?The growing vegetable soup book mentioned earlier is by Lois Ehlert, one of my favourite picture book authors; I'd like to suggest her book Planting a Rainbow:
    [​IMG]
    as you can see it's got lovely simple collage illustrations for early years.
    Also, if you're doing Jack and the Beanstalk, you should read Jim and the Beanstalk too - kids just love it!!!

15. "Mabel's Magical Garden" is lovely. Can't remember who it's by, but has lovely illustrations and lot's of PSED in it too.

16. It's by Paula Metcalf.