1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storecupboard challenge

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Is anyone up for one?
    I don't mean let us see who has the biggest storecupboard..
    I mean, could we set a timeframe of say...4 weeks and see how far we can all go?
    I am shamelessly wanting your ideas, of course...

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Nice idea CQ but with o/h working shifts and cooking for 1 or 2 is a drag. I am already trying to just eat from the freezer etc as I have no work therefore not a lot of money.

3. Your freezer is your storecupboard! Nobody has to cook from scratch. The point is how much do you already have in your own home...see?
    And some new recipes might crop up along the way.

4. Well, this is probably yeeuch to most out there but here goes. 1 tin tuna added to one small tin of condensed milk (not Carnation, of course - ahem) with tomato puree, placed on top of rice boiled or fried with 2 spring onions. In my student days it had the posh name (!) 'Tuna Arora'. Don't ask.
    Occasionally when Mr NbN is away, & I can't be bothered cooking, these are in my store cupboard & it's a trip down memory lane. AND I ain't apologizing for it.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's a good idea and it's always great fun to see what wonderful meals can be constructed from the contents of a storecupboard but..
    ...no fresh fruit or veg for a month?
    I don't think I'd cope!
    [​IMG]

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We've got masses of kale in the garden, but not being able to get salad would be a drag
    However, I am moreorless trying to live on what we've got here, well except for cake orders of course!!
    Making a schwartzwalderkirschtorte, lemon and raspberry mousses and 90+ cupcakes for a do at SiL's next Sunday.

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I love my storecupboard to pieces. I used to stock it up and run it right down, then stock it up again and run it right down (think you get the general idea). However, since having children the idea of not having my storecupboard at least half full terrifies me!

8. I actually like the sound of Tuna Arora. I'm going to give that one a try!
    nick - I shall allow you to buy fresh fruit and veg :eek:)

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

as long as I can keep adding fresh fruit and veg.

I have about 2 weeks of frozen meals good to go, and then another 4 weeks worth of meals

ie chicken bit, mince for lasagnas etc etc

Last time i posted the contents of My freezer folks accused me of procrastination!

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

OK, so I've just looked in the freezer to decide what to cook for lunch tomorrow and in addition to the (probably) 2 months worth of meals I have in there, there is a lot (and I do mean, A LOT) of meat that I bought when my butcher retired just to make sure I had a supply of good meat. I could probably last until we have our next baby which won't be for a while yet!

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

There's no meat or fish in the freezer at the moment, no tuna in the cupboard and the eggs ran out last week. C took the end of the cheese for his lunch yesterday. I think I would struggle with tis challenge!
    What do I have? "Spare" spices, chinese-style sauces, curry paste, bisto powder, mustard powder, dried mushrooms, yellow lentils (dry), rice flour, potato flour, cornflour, sugar, breakfast cereal, coffee, jam, chutneys and relishes, cornichons.
    This is what freezer, cupboard and fridge contain - suggestions??

12. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I reckon I've got enough to last this month, providing the veg box delivery plus milk and yoghurt isn't cheating. Eggs are kindly donated to me every week during term time by a colleague - do they count as cheating?

Just got mince out of the freezer to batch cook a huge vat of chilli tomorrow.

13. Lol - so have I!

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm currying some lentils .....lentils and spices from cupboard. To be served with lightly poached/coddled egg.

15. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I've just batch cooked Simon Hopkinson's porcini pasta. Very little cheese left. Porcini all gone. This challenge is going to be hard!

Plus side, two lovely comforting meals in the freezer for term time [​IMG]

16. ljr

ljr New commenter

As I still can't get used to cooking for two instead of four my freezer has more than a dozen frozen 'halves' of meals waiting for 'an emergency'. Also, as we've cut right back on red meat, I still have a months worth left over from the farmers market. I have cheese & eggs, quite a bit of frozen milk (I buy it in those plastic pouches & then put it in the special jug), and I have frozen runner beans & brocolli from the garden last summermy storecupboard is well stocked with pulses & pasta, I make my own bread & yogurt, so as long as I can have my fortnightly vegetable box & the milkman is still allowed to call once a week I reckon I could easily last out three months. Am I still allowed to bake for enjoyment and so buy the ingredients for my cakes?

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I cheated today, I had to shop for eggs for a cake order when I saw 3 cauliflower at 19p each, so I bought them and willmake caulifower cheese for the freezer. [​IMG]

18. I'm an eejit - I meant evaporated milk. This occurred to me when I was describing recipe to a friend!! Thought I'd better sort it before you all rushed to make it!!!![​IMG]

19. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I had wondered!

20. ljr

ljr New commenter

Oh dear - just realised that its the farmers market this Saturday - I don't need anything but I won't be able to get there until July as the next two are on the bank holiday weekends in May & June & I'll be away. Is it cheating to buy meat for the freezer as long as I promise not to eat it yet? Actually I'm going to have to cheat anyway - ten people to dinner on Easter Sunday - I can't give them storecupboard food - I've got to buy special food for that!