1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Store Card Arrears Fees...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Jul 26, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Hi everyone,

I have one store card that I barely use, but do like to use it a couple of times a year if I'm buying 'big' purchases such as my winter coat or a wedding outfit; I get vouchers for discounts if I spend certain amounts and I usually just pay it off straight away to avoid interest.
    I had a balance on my card and paid the bill over the phone. Either I or the operator seems to have inverted the numbers on the payment amount, meaning that I underpaid by £2.64.
    Now, owing to various factors in the past 2 turbulent months, I've overlooked ringing them up to get it sorted. I've now been charged 2 lots of arrears fee (£12 per time) and have just received a letter today telling me that a 3rd fee will be apply if I don't pay PDQ). I know that the company is within their rights to apply an arrears fees for lack of payment. However, with a balance of just £2.64, a fee of £12 per time seems a bit excessive.
    What do you think are the chances of getting them to waive these fees? It would mean that my £2.64 balance would now be over £40.
    I know, I know, I should be more organised and get it sorted in time and I know I shouldn't have a store card because they are the Devil incarnate. I'm planning on closing the account now anyway because it's more hassle than it's worth, but want to try and avoid the extra charges if I can.

P.S. I will understand if no-one has any sympathy for my totally hapless self! I should know better really....!