1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Storage of post to COG

Discussion in 'Governors' started by jgreen40frog, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Could any of my fellow COG's please advise me. What am I ment to do with the copies of the letters of which the originals have been sent to either the office or to the head. I have addressed the issues raised with the head via email. Do I distroy as the head/admin office have the original or do I keep them.
    Cheers in advance.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

How many do you get! I get copies of stuff the same as you and I do one of 2 things: do nothing (the largest category!) or speak to HT about the issue. If the latter I just make a note on the letter of when I spoke to head and what we agreed. Occasionally I will diary it to follow up. Otherwise I just leave them gathering dust in a plastic wallet with my other school governor paperwork in case the issue ever comes up again. It would be nice to think there was no need to keep them as if I needed them again as office/head would have the original, but experience has taught me that is not to be relied on. If I got dozens of them every month I'd probably handle it differently, but I get so few it's hardly worth me worrying about. I guess I'll weed out the older ones one day.
    When you do throw them out though make sure they are securely shredded. You have them in your official cacity as Chair so Data Protection requirements for secure disposal apply to you.

3. Thank you Rottweiler, have not received a handover from our previous chair and seen the Governors box, I am of the understanding she had the same system as yourself. Just wanted to make sure there was not a certain protocol for such items.
    Fully aware of dpa as work in the finance industry, however thanks again.